• In the Spotlight:

Weird breastfeeding symptom??? Anyone else??

Whenever I breastfeed my legs (mainly ankles) ache and throb.... It hurts pretty bad and can continue to hurt after I'm done and into the evening.... Anyone else have this problem??? I noticed it right away when I started to feed her in the hospital... my uterus would conract and so did my ankles it seemed like... the consultant said if I had menstrual cramps before in my legs (which I did) it's likely that that's why it's happening... (I never had cramps in my ankles though while mentrating) THis is weird... why does this happen and what can I do to relieve the pain...

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 10:03 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sorry I've never heard that before. Did you talk to your doctor about it? Have you tried pumping the milk out and does it do the same thing when you pump?
    charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 10:07 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Yeah... like I said really weird... I truly wish it would go away
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 10:32 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Hmm... Im not sure about that never had that problem but nursing can do all sorts of things to your body ....it makes my sweat glands excrete everytime i nurse and sometimes it burns...if you had leg cramps before it prolly wont go away but you may get use to it! Just keep nursing dont give up! its so worth it ! also you could try to put your feet on a stool when feeding !
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:07 AM on May. 12, 2009

• How long ago did you give birth? At the hospital, the nurse always gave me a motrin before breastfeeding. I didn't know why but she said it was to relieve the pain. I was like what pain, but as soon as I got home I would begin to feel the cramps in my abdomin all the way to my chest because the uterus shrinks as you are breast feeding. It's like ok the baby is out now because they are using the milk so it's time to go back to the normal size. Try taking a pain killer before you breastfeed to see if that helps.
    chela17

Answer by chela17 at 11:58 AM on May. 12, 2009