Why do I ?

Everyone time I read something on here about someone's child dieing or going to die. I am heartbroken and immediately think of my kids. The number 3 journal is about a woman whose 4 and 6 year old were run off by a moron in a car. The 4 year old died. My daughter will be 4 next month. I can't imagine. Why do I do this to myself?

Katie911

Asked by Katie911 at 10:30 AM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• As moms, we have a common ground when it comes to trageties like that. I feel the same way when I hear those things happen. Since we have children we have a certain sensetivity to news like that. You are completely normal... :)
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 10:37 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Cause you have a heart and you feel for others, Which a good thing. Your a caring person, thats a good thing. I am the same way. I will cry when i see or read about something about a child. Shit i cried my eyes out when i watched the movie "marley and Me". If you have'nt seen it yet then you have to see it.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:38 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My nephew is 18 months old, and dying from cancer. My son is 3 and he's got allergies. It breaks my heart knowing what is coming and especially for my siser. It makes me thankful for my child, which in turn makes me feel guilty for knowing my son is healthy and hers is not.

I wouldn't say their's anything wrong with you. Sadness for the mother and lost babies, happiness for your own babies, and guilt for you happiness.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:41 AM on May. 12, 2009

• i always tell people if you want to have a humbling experience go through childrens hospital. my daughter was there in boston for a few days and i tell you.it was the greatest experience for my daughter it is the best hospital.they are there for those kids 100%,but like you ,you cant help but shed a tear everytime you go through the door or see those parents.like one of the parents i meet said "our kids are going to leave but some of these kids never will"i think if you have any feelings you cant help but get a knot in your stomach:(
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 10:50 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I have a hard time with television shows featuring childen who are ill or hurt. Especially if it is a reality show. Grey's Anatomy got me last week with the little six year old girl dying in daddy's arms. I boo hoooed like a baby. I understand. But why do we do this? That is life. We can't live in denile that it can't happen to our kids. Drunk Driving happens, cancer/diabetes, defective toys that are choking hazzards....it happens. And if you are angry about it then it is good to get involved before your child gets hit by a speeding car or is living with cancer. Be an advocate for children and parents. You can't do all charities and organizations but you can pick one and spread the word. Television shows, although for entertainment, can get parents thinking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on May. 12, 2009

• The minute you become a mom your worries and fears change and suddenly your life is less valuable. It is less valuable to you because your kids mean more to you than life itself and knowing that something could possibly happen to them that you may not be able to control is a terrifying thought. And seeing stories of other people's kids getting hurt or worse I think just drives home the fact that this stuff can happen. It sucks!!! I have two kids, my daughter will be 3 on thursday and my son is 8 weeks and if anything happened to them I wouldn't want to live. I also get very sad when I hear about stuff like you were reading. I even had to cancel my subscription to the newspaper when I was pregnant because all the sadness really bothered me. Just remember, you can't live in fear either because that is no life. As a mom you will ALWAYS worry about them but you gotta live too. Take care.
    londonmommyof2

Answer by londonmommyof2 at 12:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That is the common thread that ties us together as women...we are all mothers. If I hear of someone's baby dying I immediately feel hurting in my womb. I feel the immediate need to protect that child even though there is nothing I can do about it. I am the same way about my child. When I was on patrol (I am an investigator for the State now) I worked where my son and I live. So his school is where I would patrol.

I would be fearful that any emergency call where a child had been beaten, injured, kidnapped was my son. I would wait for my dispatcher to give any description that would let me know it wasn't my son. I couldn't stand being on fatality scenes where babies were killed, family violence situations where kids were injured too. It made me bitter and angry. I trust people less after seeing what people do to each other. That makes me be a better Mom, I'm far more protective than I am trusting.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We're mothers. I do the same thing. It is just our thoughts wandering to the question - 'What if that was me?' I know it is not something fun to do, but it is something I have gotten used to. Try not to stress too much, and just keep a watchful eye on my sweet little kiddos (Kerm, Liz, and Drew)
    Rose87

Answer by Rose87 at 1:01 PM on May. 12, 2009