Please Help!!! My almost seven year old boy still wets the bed, any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on May. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make sure he stops drinking at least 30 minnute to an hour before bed. Make him go and pee right before bed. During the day, try to get him to drink then postpone going to pee for a minute or too, gradually increase the time he waits by a minute. Not to exceed five minutes, but, this will help him strengthen his bladder and get it to hold a little more. Also try waking him up in the middle of the night and having him go pee.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:36 AM on May. 12, 2009

• my dd used to wet the bed cause she sleeps like a rock for about 11 hrs each night. I had to drag her to the bathroom everynight about 3 hrs after she went to sleep. She would go to bed at 8ish and I would tak her to the bathroom about 11. It was a pain and she slept the whole time I carried her and put her back to bed...never remembered the next day. it gave her alot more confidence and she wuit feeling bad about something hse couldn't control. Limiting drinks never helped. Doctor said her bladder was too small to hold liquid for 11 hrs.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:37 AM on May. 12, 2009

• This is actualy very common for this age. It can happen until 12 because their brians when they are asleep just do not get the signals to wake up and go like an adult does. If you are concerned ask your ped for more info.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:40 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My dd had that problem, it didn't matter what time I cut her off or anything..it is usually a sleep disorder (sleeping so hard they don't feel they have to go) I bought her an alarm that went off eveytime she would start to go, which would wake her up so she could finish. It taught her body not to sleep so hard. It is called WetStop Md. I found it on e-bay for about 40 dollars (cheapest I found) she has been dry for over a month now and before that it was a soaker very night. PM mw if you need anymore info about it :)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 10:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• First take him to the doctor to make sure there aren't any medical problems. Once you know he's OK, just sleeping soundly, you can try a bedwetting alarm. They work for about 75% of kids who use them. It can take several months or one night - there's no way to tell.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• This is quite common in boys. It takes boys longer to develop the communication between the bladder and the brain, and also good bladder control. It most cases this is the situation. In extreme cases their could be a medical problem.

Don't scold him. Don't punish him. Be supportive. Get him some Underjams (they are awesome and help keep the bed from getting soaked resulting in daily sheet changes). Make sure he goes to the bathroom a couple times before bed.
    Anonymous

• I don't mean to be a scare but I read an article about child abuse once and it told me that one of the signs of molestation is continued bed wetting even after potty training. 2 years later I was having bed wetting issues as well as random accidents with my son and I found out he was being molested. This may not be the case but I thought I share my harrowing experience - even if only one mom finds this information helpfull then my son's horrible experience was not in vane.
    Anonymous

• my daughter who just turned 9 had this problem until last year. I thought it was never going to stop. I did all kinds of wierd things ppl and docs said, but I had to find out what worked for just her. She has a small bladder, and if she doesnt go #2 it puts pressure on her bladder and makes her go...she sleeps like a rock too! She know she cant drink an hour before bed and she has go #2 everday after school. this has helped a lot...she used to get so upset and embarassed. i tried the whole waking up in the middle of the night to make her go, and she'd go...and then go in bed again regardless. also, I tried to make her understand it was something that could be fixed...we just had to work on it together. good luck!
    SpitfireShelly

Answer by SpitfireShelly at 2:51 PM on May. 12, 2009

• pull-ups. My son wore them until he was 6 1/2 and stopped on his own accord. He'll be 8 in October and still wets the bed about once a week or so. My 6 1/2yo daughter still wears pull-ups at night and will until she stops wetting the bed. She sleeps so soundly nothing wakes her at night.
    Our doctor said he wouldn't even check anything else until they were 8 or 9 and still wetting the bed every night. He said it was perfectly normal to wet the bed until then.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• this can often be tied to a dairy alergy. My oldest son wets the bed if he consumes any dairy. I was the same way as a child. google bedwetting dairy
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 5:16 PM on May. 12, 2009