how to kill fleas of my dog!

my dog hes a Maltese had fleas and he wont stop biting is there any way to get reed of them with any home products? he has flea shampoo but its not working!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Hello Maltese mom - I can help you get them off and then Keep them off - I have a Maltese, too!

Pop her in the tub or skin - fill 1/2 with warm water - use a pea size amount of Daw Dish soap or another high quality dish soap.  Suds her up for 3 minutes and then rinse and rinse and rinse.

All the fleas should be dead and comb them out.  NEXT - to keep fleas and ticks off try this all natural and safe treatments:

1.  Give a good supplement - we use 1 NuVET plus wafer treat per day ... Under 8 lbs she would only need 1/2 a wafer per day - this has many supplements that REPELL fleas and ticks....PLUS it is a great vitamin, too.    http://www.nuvet.com/81098

2.  Get some Critter oil and spray her ever other day / Google Critter oil.... great stuff!

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 7:36 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Bring the dog to a petco or a place like that and pay someone to get rid of them if the shampoo is'nt working that the only opion you have.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 10:45 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Frontline is the only thing that ever worked for us. You put it on once a month and you won't see anymore fleas. We had a MAJOR flea problem a few years ago when we fostered a dog.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:46 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't have a home remedy, I'm sorry. We tried putting garlic in our cat's food and it didn't work, and flea baths didn't get rid of the problem either. What we ended up using was Advantage that we got from the vet. It worked. One of our cats had always had a bare tummy, it turns out it was a flea allergy that we didn't even know she had until the fur grew in for the first time.

Answer by Bmat at 10:47 AM on May. 12, 2009

• i use frontline on my dogs, it's great
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:48 AM on May. 12, 2009

• see if you can use a tee tree shampoo on dogs?check with a vet?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• tea tree oil
    2mothershelpers

• I know you want a home remedy, but the best thing I've ever had to use for this was this pill from the vet called capstar (or something with a star. I can't remember right now) and it killed the fleas in like 30 minutes flat. But it wasn't a preventative so I still had to give my animal frontline to keep them from coming back.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I have yet to try this year, But I was just told the other day that garlic powder keeps them away. I guess you would just put it on their fur? Also I guess there's garlic oil? (Never seen it) That you would spray. (Sounds stinky to me) But I plan to try the garlic powder. My poor dog..lol
    I am sure that nothing works better than the stuff you get from the vet..But I am gonna try it..What the heck
    :)
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:01 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I heard Dawn dishsoap will work, but keep in mind that is only the fleas directly on the dog. YOu really need to talk to your vet or go look at petmeds.com for a solution to treat your pup so that he/she doesn't keep getting them. The beauty of it is all those fleas in your house want on your pet and once treated they will get on you dog and die and then no more fleas. I think capstar kills them within hours but only works for a day or two so I would suggest Frontline Plus. Good Luck
    Anonymous