At What age do you stop going in with your child during a physical?

My 14 year old has a physical on Friday and he is nervous about it and I belive it is cause he does not want me in there, I have no problem not going in but, I am wondering what is the norm?

mamamom431

Asked by mamamom431 at 11:06 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Starting about 11 I would let them get their exam then go in when the doctor called me. This way they could discuss anything personal, and I would still get the straight story about their state of health.

Answer by Bmat at 5:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would say thats the norm age. Maybe even sooner than 14?
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I can understand that. Both of my children are girls and they stopped wanting me in there between 16-17. I would respect his wishes. Stay outside and if you want to speak to the Dr., I am sure he will gladly talk to you after he is done.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:08 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Mine wouldn't care if I was or wasn't in there, he is 13. I feel he is old enough to go alone if he asks.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:09 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Hee hee, well I was informed by my mom that I had NO business being in the exam room when my 15 year old had his physical lol. I never even thought about it, so I would say NOW is a good time for you to NOT be in the room lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:10 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Our 12 yr old had his recently, and he wanted me in there with him. I'm thinking next yr he won't, he was a bit embarrassed,lol I turned around for him.
    I would think you could let him go in alone, I'm sure the Dr. will let you know if there's anything to be concerned about.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:11 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Ask him if he would like to go in alone and if so then have him go in alone then when it's all done have the doctor go get you and speak to you about any issues that have come up with his health. Boys or girls may have question they would like to ask when mom or dad not around. Leave it up to your son. GL
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:17 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I always ask if they want me to come in, right now all of mine say yes, as far as the teens (17-15) I do leave the room for the "cough" test, but I think it is for me more then the boys, my kids are just more comfortable if I am in there.

Let him decide, tell him that it is his choice, and go from there.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:21 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think that if he says something to you about it, then you should wait outside. 14 is a sensitive age, well pysically atleast. Especially for boys. So I say its pretty much up to him. If he seems a little hesitant when it is time to go in to see the doctor, take the hint. lol If you don't feel that he's hinting towards it, then maybe you should just take the step yourself and let him go at it alone. Sometimes kids aren't as honest when their parents are around. But I think that you are a GREAT MOM for taking that into consideration. :) Good mom award!!!!
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 11:24 AM on May. 12, 2009

• When mine were 11 and 13, I warned my doctor that when I brought them for a physical, they would go in alone - and I want them to know the doctor, know they can ask questions and go there (even with out me if they really had to and took the initiative to do so... I'm pretty sure he'd convince them to tell me anyway). And I only go with them when going for something specific like the flu, etc. For physicals, I won't go in and I'll just tell the doc to tell me if there is anything note worthy.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 1:02 PM on May. 12, 2009