How old should a child be in order to read Romeo and Juliet?

The girl I'm talking about has a lot of emotional problems and she really gets into her stories and acts them out. I can always tell what kind of book she is reading by how she is acting. She'll let everything else go in order to become this person in the book. Yes she has been in counceling since we got her and even her councelor says this age group is to young to read this book but I am just curous what you all think. Thanks

GrandmaMom183

Asked by GrandmaMom183 at 11:11 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• If she is having troubles like that, I would say wait on the Romeo and Juliet. It's a little deep in the emotions section.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Oh I don't think she should read it if she does that. Does your community have like a theatre group for kids or anything? It sounds like she would do really well in theatre. But I wouldn't let her read stuff like Romeo and Juliet. The last thing you need is to come home and she's killed herself trying to be Juliet or something.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:14 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I first read Romeo and Juliet as a Freshmen in Highschool. It was a classroom required reading and I think the teachers know best as to when we were supposed to read it, considering the romantic, emotional and deeeeeep content it contains. I would hold off.
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 11:16 AM on May. 12, 2009

• If she would act it out, you might not want her to read about the whole suicide part. On the other hand, I took my son to see Romeo and Juliet on stage at 8 and Hamlet at 6. He absolutely loved it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:16 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Sounds like you need to wait a bit. Normally, I would say around 13-14 is a good age to start. R & J is usually a first introduction to Shakespeare but it is actually really heavy stuff. If she is wanting to read Shakespeare, try one of the stories that doesn't end in death (Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado about Nothing, Taming of the Shrew). You could also try one of the anthology books where the original plays are written in prose & toned down a bit for children. My DD got one at age 11 & she loved it. The stories are the same but the really intense parts are calmer than the original plays.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:19 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I was in 9th grade as well
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:20 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Lit class in 9th grade.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 11:22 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree with funny face1204
    wlradun

Answer by wlradun at 12:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• 14
    Anonymous

• I was in 9th grade lt class and had a hard time understanding it at that age and it didn't get any easier when I had to read it again in 10th grade. I would say 9th grade is a good age to read Romeo and Juliet, just have Cliff Notes handy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:09 PM on May. 12, 2009