Is it true than when your pregnancy hits 10 weeks your risk for miscarriage drops by 80%?

I am a very impatient person and I want to put up the crib we ordered, it will be here friday, and I also want to put the car seat in our car so our DD can get used to it being there before the baby comes. My husband wants to wait til a month before the baby is due "just in case", he says if something happens he doesnt want to look at it cause it will make him cry. What should I do? I really want to put it up, not only to see it but to make sure its not damaged!!

So I am wondering if it is true that when you reach 10 weeks your risk for miscarriage drops? I had a perfect pregnancy with my DD, and the doctor says this one is going great too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The risk usually drops at the 12th week, I believe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it's 12 weeks. I think it's after the first trimester. ......I think!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:36 AM on May. 12, 2009

• i was told when you enter the second trimester. however, i got pregnant in october and got a crib for x-mas it was up the next day. and me and my little girl are fine. as far as the car seat.. it goes in after memorial day. so i say go for it besides if this isnt your first child and you have never miscarrid before just take good care of yourself and you and your SO will have nothing to worry about. Good luck
    ChloeMom0709

Answer by ChloeMom0709 at 11:37 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Im not sure on when the chances drop but i was 3 and a half months when i had a miscarriage. it all depends.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I'm not sure, I know my mom had two miscarriages in her 7th month. I have an older sister that is about 6-1/2 yrs older then I am, they weren't even sure she was ever going to be able to carry another to term

Surprise surprise though...I have a younger sister that was born 5 days before my second birthday. I told the older sis that it's because she wished so hard for a baby sister.

In your case, it wouldn't hurt to wait a bit longer, especially if it seems to be upsetting for your DH. At least he's honest and sharing his feelings with you about his fears, some guys would just keep it buried and act like they didn't care.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:41 AM on May. 12, 2009

• It is true that it drops. I am going to tell you about my miscarriage.
    This was my 1st preg. and I was so excited. but was not planned. I had just turned 21 and It was a big shock. I had only been married for7months. I found out in October 2004. I found out I was 7 weeks along. No symptoms at all. I still had my period. I had regular check ups with midwife. I went to see her in January 2007 and we listened for the heart beat even though I didn't hear it she told me she heard it I just didn't know what to listen for...I heard it previously. but I listened to her. At 20 weeks and 5 days, I was at home and feeling very ill, like the flu ill. I was taking tylenol for my fever (which was kinda low) and my aches. then my back started hurting. My husband came home and saw the condition I was in and called 911. Got to the ER and they told me the baby had no heart beat..CONT
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:44 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I was rushed to the hospital 5 miles away..the hospital I was at did not deal with pregnancies. So when I got the other hospital, they did an ultrasound and all other test and told me I did not have the flu I had an infection that was caused by the fetus that had been decomposing. I was confused. I said how can she be decomposing already? the doctor said that by the tests they ran they determined that the baby had died approximately 5-6 weeks ago. and the infection ran through my blood stream. I could not have a D&E until they got the infection to go away and my fever to go down. Then they put me to sleep and "evacuated my baby". The doctor would not let me see her because she had turned to stone and did not look like a baby anymore. I was heartbroken. I didn't get to say good bye or see her.
    I understand where both of you are coming from. My advice is to wait until you hit around 25-30 weeks. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:49 AM on May. 12, 2009

• The "rule" is that you're pretty much out of the woods after 12 weeks, which is why many people wait until then to announce their pregnancies. I'll be 13 weeks this Thursday and I'm very antsy!
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 11:50 AM on May. 12, 2009