Do you think it's O.K for a little boy to play with baby dolls?

Why or why not?

teresalangston

Asked by teresalangston at 11:37 AM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yes. There was a Mothering Magazine article on it not too long ago. Please look it up on www.mothering.com. It teaches boys to be nurturing, caring and also shapes them into good fathers. Remember how sweet you were when you played with dolls, emulating your mother? That is what this does for boys. It shows them to be respectful and also makes them more well-rounded.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Of course it is. And it is okay for little girls to play with trucks.
    Momtocccd

Answer by Momtocccd at 11:38 AM on May. 12, 2009

• yep. My son is two and a half. He likes the dolls that belong to the little girl who he gets babysat with sometimes. Doesn't hurt him. Kids don't know about genders and how a boy or girl is supposed to act yet.
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:38 AM on May. 12, 2009

• HAHA wats funny is I posted a similar question B4. my son wants my little ponies and mermaids. And I honestly think that it is perfectly fine. No discriminating. Hes a kid. girls play with trucks and nobody says anything about that.
    kalioop

Answer by kalioop at 11:39 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it's not only okay but should be encouraged. My six year old still has a cabbage patch doll that he's had since he was one. Having this doll helped him understand how to take care of his little sister when she was born two months ago. He and his friends in Kindergarten (all boys) used dolls in freeplay time to show each other how to take care of their new baby siblings. (They all got new baby sisters or brothers this year.) I think that playing with a doll has shown him that being a daddy isn't just working and coming home. He has seen and experienced my husband feeding, changing, bathing and playing so he practices this by playing with his doll. He asks me if I think he'll be a good dad when he grows up.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:43 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it's fine. My husband hated it and would take the dolls or "girly" toys away, unless I caught him. I told him that playing with dolls helps to teach him about caring for other things. He loves dolls and will hold them for a while. He also likes to have his fingernails painted. When he turns 10 and he still has these passions, then I will be a little more interested. For now, let him have fun. He sees it as playing.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:44 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Kids should be able to play with whatever toys they wish. Playing with dolls teaches kids, boys and girls, to be nurturing. I don't see how that is a bad thing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:44 AM on May. 12, 2009

• They also learn empathy...it does teach compassion, nurturing and gentleness.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:48 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I think its cute! And I agree with BradenIsMySon...it teaches them how to nurture and be caring. Haha just wait till he's older and he's pulling the dolls heads off like my brother used to do.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:55 AM on May. 12, 2009

• fine by me
    dianna1121

Answer by dianna1121 at 11:59 AM on May. 12, 2009