Do you think an online education is as good as a campus education?

I need to go back to school to better myself. I have to keep my job while going. I see alot of online school. I was just wondering if employers view online education the same as one from a traditional education.

mommacheetah

Asked by mommacheetah at 11:57 AM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Absolutely! It's is hard though, I started my degree online. It takes a lot of discipline. But the education is just the same.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:58 AM on May. 12, 2009

• Make sure you go to an accredited one. I just interviewed University of Phoenix, that one seems very good.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 11:59 AM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't know how employers view it, but I think you get different things from each. Their is alot you miss by not being face to face, but I also think you have to be really dedicated and do some extra work when you get a degree online.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Depends on the company. My husbands company will not hire from University of Phoenix and schools like it. The company used to but found many of the graduates had no clue about what they were doing. It is not that difficult to cheat when taking online courses so many who should no graduate do.

If you want to take online classes do it from a good college. You will have to come in sometimes and may have to take finals with a Professor but it will help you be more employable later.
    Anonymous

• As an agent doing the hiring, I do not view strictly online programs as comparable or rigorous as campus programs. However, this is a mandate from the company. Things may change as more and more schools offer online classes. Most legit colleges and universities offer a hybrid-- you can take some classes online, but not all, and you get a degree from an actual school-- not a virtual school.

In the present job market, I'd pass over the one that got a degree from a strictly online school over someone who demonstrated an ability to show up to class. After all, most jobs aren't online.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is. It is tough though as stated above. You have to have the quiet time to do your classes, study and do your homework. It's not all just easy cake stuff. It's very time consuming. Class is easier because you just go, listen and leave. What you are talking about is using time you could be with your family or out enjoying the day. Make sure you know 100% what you are getting yourself into.
    Anonymous

• An online education is fine, just be sure that is not with a for-profit school. Start with a local community college or state university.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:07 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would never consider an online bachelor's degree as comparable to a "regular" degree. I have a bit more leniency for some graduate work, however, because it is meant to extend a knowledge set that a person already has a solid base of expertise in. The only online degrees I would consider would be not-for-profit schools, such as those run out of state universities and colleges.
    Anonymous

• Don't go to University of Phoenix. Most businesses won't accept a degree from them and most colleges won't either. Call around if you need a conformation.

My local college (Utah State University) has most of their degrees online now too. When I finally get my degree it won't show up any different than it would if I took all my courses online. Plus it was about 1/2 the price of University of Phoenix.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:08 PM on May. 12, 2009