Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If unemployment makes a mistake should i have to pay??

So my husband got fired and he applied for unemployment. They qualified him(even though in his job they told him he might not qualify). they paid him for a couple of months till now he has a job, and just the other day a letter came home that they overpayed him, so now he has to pay them and its like 1000 and something, we defenetly dont have that. so what should we do?? can we do a claim saying that we shouldnt pay because they made amistake or should we just pay???

Answer Question

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:05 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • I believe you are going to pay it back, the employer has probably contacted the agency because he was "fired" and thus uneligible. I wouldn't mess around with this, pay them back as requested, and ask for a payment schedule, be earnest and honest when you tell them you intend to pay them back.

    Answer by akinbottom2 at 12:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • You are going to have to pay this back one way or another. Sorry. The law isn't on your side.

    Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:35 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Yep, you have to pay just like a bank or the IRS making a mistake.

    Answer by smalltowngal at 12:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Yeah youre going to be obligated to pay it back unfortunately. Government jobs should be employed with people who know what theyre doing and double check everything before they hand anyone money. Sorry hun.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • this does not surprise me..

    Answer by mrssundin at 1:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Yes, you are going to have to pay it back. This happens all of the time

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • They will take it from his current pay or income tax refunds if you don't pay it back thats what they did with my sister. Sorry you have to deal with this now.

    Answer by mandy2412 at 1:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Yes, you will have to pay it back. You can either send them a check or they will garnish your hubby's paychecks until the money is paid back. If you would have read the paperwork that you get from unemployment, you would have read about this part. I worked for unemployment in Wisconsin and we actually verbally told applicants this part. And told them to read ALL material and call with any questions.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:03 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • We filed an appeal (twice) after we received a similar letter. I wrote it would be a hardship to pay it back--had he just been denied in the first place, we wouldn't be in this situation--kind of wording. My husband wasn't fired but left the company when his contract expired, the company fought the unemployment claim saying they would have offered him another contract....although it was never brought up or discussed about renewing it. As long as you're paying (we pay $50) they can't garnish your wages or tax least for NC.

    Answer by RugersMommy06 at 3:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.