If unemployment makes a mistake should i have to pay??

So my husband got fired and he applied for unemployment. They qualified him(even though in his job they told him he might not qualify). they paid him for a couple of months till now he has a job, and just the other day a letter came home that they overpayed him, so now he has to pay them and its like 1000 and something, we defenetly dont have that. so what should we do?? can we do a claim saying that we shouldnt pay because they made amistake or should we just pay???

Cristy-1208

Asked by Cristy-1208 at 12:06 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• probably should have looked at the paper work to make sure everything made sense. Sorry, but I think you're stuck paying it back.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I had the same thing happen to me. Mine was okay though because they just deducted it from my last check. It's not always 100% giveaway money, unfortunately.
    Anonymous

• Image if you made a mistake and overpaid a bill or for a product? Would you want to be reimbursed for your overpayment?

Here is one way to look at it! UnEmployment is paid by the tax payers and the companies around the country. Instead of having to pay more money to unemployment the employer was able to pay higher pay rates? By just letting this go really does a dis-service for you and anyone looking to get a job.

How can you get a payment schedule to payback the mistake and keep looking forward with gratitude for having the ability to use unemployment because many countries do not have this as an option!

I was in Uganda Africa where they make and have to live off of about $20 a month! If you make $100 a month you are considered high income!

I think it is a great question.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 2:37 PM on May. 12, 2009