convertible carseat from hospital....

Did anyone use a convertible carseat to bring baby home from the hospital? Did it work ok? I have always had an infant seat but this time I wont, I have a convertible, just wanting to know the pros and cons of it. So if you used a convertible seat from hospital on how did it go for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I used the carrier, but we had my daughter in a convertible for her first doc appointment. She fit fine even at just over 5 lbs.
    Anonymous

• It really all depends on the seat and the baby. The straps need to be at or below there shoulders while RF. Most convertable seats wont fit a newborn properly. What seat do you have?
    rina16

Answer by rina16 at 1:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I prefer the covertible seats. I have big babies so its a total PITA to carry a heavy baby and a heavy seat around. Plus I'd rather hold my baby in a store or where ever are are.
    My mom bought an infant seat for us with our 2nd even though we have a convertable. Her idea was that it was safer because it had lots and lots of padding. Then she said it was winter and she didnt want me to fall when i was carrying the baby *rolls eyes*. That stupid seat caused more problems than it fixed and we only used the thing 5 times before I decided I was done humoring my mother.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 1:03 PM on May. 12, 2009

• MOst of the convertible seats are officially made to fit a newborn as small as 5 lbs. They come with multipe head rests and side rests and lay back very far. You just take out the cushions as they grow. Its perfectly fine and usually the hospital just requires that you have a seat that is installed properly. They might want to come out and look at it but hey, if that works for you, then great. Keeps you from having to buy another one. They go from 5-70 lbs or something like that. Ours is an Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega Elite 3 in 1. It is authorized for use in new borns up to 70 or 80 lbs. I don't think my 7 yr old would fit in it, but thats just what it says. It had so many cushions in it, that I am sure it would have worked for our new born. I bought it when he was 4 mos old. I just lifted the back up for the 3rd time. My son is now 3.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We did it with our youngest. Pros/cons..no clue, but it worked for us. We had to take it inside the hospital, but that's because he was born early and had to pass a test while in the seat. I *think* normally it would simply be you tell the nurse you have the convertible, and they just have to witness that it's actually in the car and you put the baby in it....but I'm not sure.

If we were going to have another one, I'd go right to the convertible seat again.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:39 PM on May. 12, 2009