confession: i dont feed my 8 month old his baby food...

his feeding schedual is:
cereal and 6oz formula when he wakes up, 8oz at 1, 8oz at 4, and sometimes 8 at 8..
is this enough?
is it bad that i havnt been giving him his baby food vegi's? what can happen if i dont? Should i start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Start putting him in his high chair and putting some food on his tray. Bite sized chunks of soft food that he can pick up and feed to himself. Soft ripe banana, avocado, cooked sweet potato, peas etc.
    Start with one food, and then try another after a few days.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• as long as he is not displaying symptoms of being malnurished he should be ok. my DD went from the bottel straight to solids...she was over 1. she wanted NOTHING to do with baby food. she hated it. she is 7 and very healthy!!! make sure that his weight is in a "healthy" percentile too.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 12:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Your child needs more food than you are giving him.

Be a responsible parent!
    Anonymous

• My daughter will be 9 mo. tomorrow and has been eating cereal & fruit since 6 1/2 mo. and since we've added in veggies, gerber snacks for her age and juice plus some table food. She likes cooked carrots and canned green beans. I think it is probably something you need to discuss with your Dr.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 12:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Sounds reasonable. Babies not *need* additional food while on formula. At this age, the point of food is to teach them how to eat - chew and swallow. Only thing you might want to try is to play with the thickness of the cereal to help him learn to chew thicker stuff. Again, it's not necessary but does help teach how to eat. Plus, I think it's fun. Put a glob of food on the tray of the high chair and watch baby play! :)
    Anonymous

• I just don't see how formula can stick to his stomach and keep him full at that age. To me, it would be equivalent to drink whole milk all day. I know if I drank whole milk all day, I'd be hungry. Anyway. I think you should at least feed him baby food once a day because he's getting close to 1 year, and you'll have to teach him to eat, and get rid of his bottle.

Anonymous

• Your baby does not need solids for the first year of life, solids are for practice and fun, so long as she is getting enough formula things should be fine. Every baby is different, some enjoy and love thier food early on, others take time and are good with just thier bottles. So no you aren't hurting her.

However now is probably a good time to start introducing them.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:23 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You can start making him 6 ounces of formula and adding about 2 teaspoons of baby food to it. Don't get it any thicker than that because it won't come out of the nipple. I've did this sometimes, then I refrigerate the rest and either feed it to him the next day or put some more in his bottle. It will thicken the formula, and add some flavor to it. I bet he'd like it. Steamed carrotts is a great idea because they are mushy, and they are not as messy as baby food. You can just throw them on his high chair and let him eat away. Plus they are really good for you.
    Anonymous

• I think that if you don't start right now, he might end up being a really picky eater which is not fun to deal with. You can even add pureed fruit to your baby's cereal in the morning. Get him used to it and then you won't have headaches later on with a picky eater =)
    chela17

Answer by chela17 at 12:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son didn't eat solids regularly until 11 mos. From about 8 mos, he had a few spoonfuls of pureed/mashed veggies every other day or so.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:37 PM on May. 12, 2009