my daughter and breastfeeding

I have breastfed my daughter since she was born. She will be two on sat. and i still breastfeed her before naptime and bedtime. Im trying to cut it out but it doesnt seem like she is ready. Does anyone think she is too old to be doig this or have any advice on how to make the transition better.

katcb1019

Asked by katcb1019 at 12:13 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I believe in child led weaning, so, she will quit when she is ready IMO. Not too old.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• There are HUGE debates about how long one should breast feed. The average age for weening in the US is 1, the world wide average is 4. I think it's up to you and your child to decide when to stop. It's no one else's business. Besides, breastfeeding continues to offer nutritional value to your child for years (this is scientifically proven) so don't let anyone tell you when to stop if you're not ready to.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 12:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son is nearly two and a half years old, he still nurses at nap time and bed time, I plan to tandem feed until he weens him self.

Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 1:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I never breast fed all that long, but if I could do it all over again, I would do it as long as he would let me, with a goal of trying to be weaned by 3 ish. I had breast surgery in 02 and my last baby in 06. Hes the one I could have been the most successful with. First because I was more mature, I more patience and because I knew more about the benefits of it. But I didnt lactate hardly at all. Remember....this time goes so fast. Just blink and this child will be going to school, blink again and they will be graduating from high school. If you look at it in the big picture scenario or ask us moms who have teenagers.....we would do anything to go back and be able to hang onto those moments just a little bit longer. It doesnt last forever.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months. You can try offering a sippy cup of water at night, and let her take it to bed with her after she brushes her teeth; be sure to tell her that this is what big girls do.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Who cares what anyone else thinks! As long as you & dd enjoy nursing then continue!
    In my personal opinion its nothing to discuss until they get into school! then thats when i think maybe its time to put the boob away for sure! :) Enjoy the closeness & the bonding while you can..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• well i know somebody that been brestfeeding for 7 years now, and her son is the smartest and active kids in school and older brother. id say shes not old for it. if u wanna change give her water and juice all day for 1 day and the next day give her cow's milk if thats your choice. try that and see if it works. good luck!
    lilmamiz07

Answer by lilmamiz07 at 4:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I am actually on day 3 of weaning my 20 month old son. I think he would have nursed until he was 18 if I let him ..lol! People are EXTREMELY judgemental about extended nursing, so if you continue, have a thick skin and don't let it bother you. There is nothing weird or gross about it at 2 - 3 years of age .. this is you baby, so continue until YOU are ready to stop. I just had to stop cold turkey, and he is handling it far better than I though he would. He is having a bit of trouble going to sleep at night but he seems to realize he can't nurse after about 10 minutes and then takes a bottle. We also snuggle togehter to maintain that closeness. I think I am taking it harder than him. The first day I was very emotional and teared up just thinking about it. My best advice is wait until you are truly committed to it, otherwise you will give in and there is no point in that. Good luck!
    carriemills

Answer by carriemills at 8:48 PM on May. 13, 2009