Infant cold cures??

My daughter is 8 mo old and just got her first cold. Watery eyes, runny/stuffy nose, drainage, coughing, Dr. said to give her some allergy meds, besides that I have a vaporizer in her room and rub baby vicks on her chest to help her out a little bit, any other suggestions from all you experience mom's out there, since they don't make infant cold meds. thx

slynnb

Asked by slynnb at 12:25 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You're doing all the great things to help get her better. When my DD would get sick, I tried giving her more fluids versus milk because milk causus more mucus and flem which is not good because it can go to their chest since they don't know how to cough it up. Try to get the bathroom steamy and take her a bath at night and then rub the vicks on her chest. I hope she feels better =)
    chela17

Answer by chela17 at 12:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• are you sure its a cold? my second son did that during the spring, and fall, he has sesonal allergies (once they are old enough you can do a tbs a day of local uncultured honey for about 6weeks, and that cures it right up).

Other then what your doing? not much... but my kids usually get a nice warm bath in a hot steamy bathroom before bed when they have colds. Helps clear the sinuses and ease the cough and any congestion. If you can ger her to drink tea, Traditional Medicianals teas have a childrens cold card tea. My kids like it.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• peppermint tea may help; peppermint is a natural decongestant.
    Take her in the bathroom with toys and put her on the floor. Close the door and run a hot shower until the bathroom gets steamy. If you have one of those rubber bulbs for getting mucus out of baby noses, definitely use it.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:53 PM on May. 12, 2009