Decrease in fetal movement---

I am 36 weeks now and 2 days ago the baby went from moving all the time (around the clock several times an hour I'd feel them) to barely moving at all. I know towards the end there isnt as much area to move around but this was such a rapid decrease in fetal movement I'm wondering if I should be concerned. I laid down this morning and drank a glass of ice cold lemonade and had a blueberry muffin which normally would have baby bouncing off the walls and all I got was a couple nudges.
I called my OBs office who said it was totally normal. Is it really that normal?
Im the same woman who ended up with a kidney infection after they ignored my uti that they said I didnt have. So I dont really trust their nonchalant answers anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you are truly that worried and don't trust your doctor take a trip to the ER. Movement (from what I have been told I delivered a preemie) does significantly decrease around 36 weeks. But it's not going to help anything if you are stressed and on edge until you deliver either. Good luck with what you decide to do.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Trust your instincts. A friend of mine was told the same thing. When she was seen at the ER, it turned out she was right-- the baby was in distress. I'm sure you're perfectly fine, and what you're going through is very normal, but if your heart is telling you something is wrong-- then go see the doctor!
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• if you are really concerned go to the ER tell them you havent felt the baby move as much and you are worried. you can also eat something REALLY sugary...like a candy bar and lay down. be very still and count the movements you have for approx. and hour. i hope this helps!!! keep us posted please.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 12:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Do a traditional "Kick Count Sheet"

Instructions:

Eat a light meal with lots of different flavors or lots of sweet items such as a salad. Drink a cup of apple juice. Then lay down on your left side with a glass of ice cold water. Sip on the water while you lay there. Make sure nothing is distracting you so you can concentrate.

Get a piece of paper and a pen. Every time you feel a movement (kick, roll, etc.) make a mark on the paper. After 2 hours, count the marks. If there are not 10 marks go to L&D immediately.

I had some issues with decreased fetal movement a couple of weeks ago and these are the instructions that they gave me to do once a day to ensure my LO is moving. They also told me that if baby is in certain breech positions (which mine was at the time) that it's difficult to feel any movement because the baby isn't as free to move. Even if this is the case you should still be checked out to be safe.
    Anonymous