Could she have a cold or is she a big faker?

I have 5 1/2 month old who has been coughing for the past 2-3 days. It's a very dry cough and she looks at me and smiles after everytime she coughs. She also doesn't have a fever and is showing no other igns of being sick. So I was wondering if any moms had kids that went through a fake coughing phase around her age for attention? Do you think she has a cold or is she just looking for attention?

AMWells

Asked by AMWells at 12:29 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son did the fake cough and I think it was right around that age too. BUT he also coughed like that when he was teething so if she's drooling quite a bit that could be the culprit. :o)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Doesn't matter if there are no other symptoms. My daughter would cough for funsometimes, and soemtiems she had post nasal drip. But if it's not troubling and no other symptoms, there's not much you can do anyway.
    Anonymous

• she may just be experimenting with her body and voice. whenever my daughter discovered a sound she could make she would keep doing it and smile wanting to know we were proud of her... when she discovers a new sound she will move on. If you want you could always call your pediatrition or a call-a-nurse to be safe
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 12:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It could be the fake cough and it could be seasonal allergies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:49 PM on May. 12, 2009