I need advice children (Ages 3 & 18-months) sharing a room...

Our plan has always been for the kids to share a room for a while (until they are a bit older & we have a larger house).

Lily has been in our room since she was born, she is now 18-months. Hunter has been in his own room since he was about 10-months, he is now 3. They both do really well with sleeping at night & their naptimes are about the same.

I need advice on making the transistion easier for all of us. How do I prepare the older child? How do I handle one waking the other up or keeping the other one from sleeping? Any advice or tips??

juliemoose

Asked by juliemoose at 12:32 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think there is a problem right now! but when he hits maybe the 1st grade he should have his own space due to the laws of some states! When I was younger I shared my room with my brothers until I was maybe third grade
    wlradun

Answer by wlradun at 12:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't think there are any laws about siblings sharing rooms. IT becomes inappropriate at some point but its way on down the road. Maybe 9 or 10ish. My 11 yr old sleeps with my 3 yr old in the 7 yr olds room. They are so funny. They just prefer to sleep together.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:07 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I can't imaging a law about that... Of course they will need their own rooms when they are older. I shared a room with my little brother for several years & I feel we are closer because of it. I would really love some tips or advice or making the move. Or some real life stories about children who share rooms. =}
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 3:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Just do it. That is what we did. My 2 year old sleeps in the same room with my 1 year old. My husband and I put them in the same room. Let me tell you, I sleep like a baby. They talk to each other and stuff. But I don't care. I am finally getting some sleep without an extra roommate in my room. So just do it. I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    Doodlesrevenge

Answer by Doodlesrevenge at 7:52 AM on May. 13, 2009