I need advice children (Ages 3 & 18-months) sharing a room...

Our plan has always been for the kids to share a room for a while (until they are a bit older & we have a larger house).

Lily has been in our room since she was born, she is now 18-months. Hunter has been in his own room since he was about 10-months, he is now 3. They both do really well with sleeping at night & their naptimes are about the same.

I need advice on making the transistion easier for all of us. How do I prepare the older child? How do I handle one waking the other up or keeping the other one from sleeping? Any advice or tips??

juliemoose

Asked by juliemoose at 12:33 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We actually just moved our 21 month old into our 4 1/2 year old's room yesterday. They did great with it. They take naps at the same time and go to bed at the same time. They play together all the time during the day anyways so they did great. I told my older son that he was the big brother and he needed to set a good example on how his brother should lay down and go to sleep so he did. They were both asleep within a half hour. We also use a sticker chart for them and they each get to pick 2 stickers when they wake up. I say just go for it if you're wanting them to share, they'll adjust. I had my oldest two share a room before as well, and they did great. My oldest has his own room now, and we just wanted the middle two boys to get used to sharing before we move. Just make it seem like it'll be fun, like a sleepover.
    Hannah22

Answer by Hannah22 at 1:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Just do it. I really dont think that its going to be a big transition. Being that they are not too far apart in age and share a lot of the same schedules. Its really hard when one goes to bed earlier than the other. I had to move my youngest one out because of that issue. Just let older bro know that baby sister is going to share his room. Make it an exciting thing. I am sure they will do just fine. Congrats on getting your OWN room back..he he.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Great ideas! We may try it this weekend. We need OUR room back. =} I shared a room with my little brother & I feel like we are closer because of it.
    juliemoose

Answer by juliemoose at 3:21 PM on May. 12, 2009