i was wonderingif anyone had an idea on how to get my 1 y/o foster nephew to sleep (10 in his own crib, (2) to sleep all night. he falls asleep in our arms, but will wake up as soon as you lay him back down. He wont go to sleep if you just lay him in his crib and his parents ALWAYS had himsleeping with them so a lot of the time he wont sleeo unless he is in bed with us. HELP PLEASE...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I"d recommend letting him cry it out. He's at an age where he's crying to get his way. He knows you will give in and let him sleep in your room. Rock him if you want, then lay him down. When he wakes, rub his back and encorugae him to go back to sleep. if he still fights it, close the door and watch TV for 20 minutes and check on him again. This will be a process for you. I'd focus on getting him to sleep in the bed first, t hen move to sleeping through the night.
    Anonymous

• Since he is a foster kid, I would recommend letting him co-sleep for a bit at first, then slowly transitioning him out of your bed. He is probably freaked out about everything.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My Dr had told me when were getting our daughter to sleep on her own and all night, this is what she suggested; 1) you are the mom and you are in control of this 2) Lay them down have a night light if you wish, tell them goodnight (however you usually do, read a book give them a drink, whatever your routine is) Maybe rock him in your arms for a lil bit then you lay him in his crib even if his crying. Walk out of the room. Then set a time like 5 min then go back in the room DONT pick him up just touch his head and tell him everythings ok and its time to go to sleep, then walkout again. This time wait 15 min if hes still crying go in dont touch him this time just whiper to him its ok, leave 2o min later if hes still crying go back just stand at doorway so he knows your there dont say anything just let him see you. She said it will probably be bad for 3-4 days, but in the end he will be sleepin and so will you!!!! Good luck
    Anonymous

• This is tough because I'm sure you want to give him tons of extra love with him being a foster nephew and all. I agree that he's old enough to cry it out.. I really hate doing that but you might have to. The post above me looks like a great plan.

Also, do you have some nice lullaby CDs you could play? We've been pretty adamant about playing CDs at naptime and bedtime and I swear they help. We love the Baby Einstein series.
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 2:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If you don't want to try the "cry it out approach", you might look at the "No Cry Sleep Solution" book by Elizabeth Pantley. It's a gentler approach to solving the problem and might work better in your case. Good luck!
    Anonymous