Is it safe to give Karo syrup to a toddler?

Some one I know said they were going to give their 1 yr old some Karo because she seemed to be having an upset stomach. I didn't think that sounded like a good idea. So I was wondering, is that even safe? I thought, poor baby is going to be in even more pain from all the pooping!

PorcelainMom81

Asked by PorcelainMom81 at 12:47 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• my doctor told me to give it to my LO when she was only 3 or 4 months old....so i can't see it being bad for a toddler. i mean its a lot of sugar so you dont want to give too much or anything.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Wow, that's a lot of sugar for a baby to consume.

I went the chamomile tea route with my son. Helped him a lot.
    Anonymous

• only dark syrup
    ashley_nick30

Answer by ashley_nick30 at 12:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Karo is what used to be given to babies to make them "go" more if they were constipated. It's safe, but it will have the consequences that you mentioned.

Answer by Bmat at 12:53 PM on May. 12, 2009

• no I was told Karo also can cause botulism in babies.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 1:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Ginger tea or chamomile tea are best for upset tummies.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I gave my son Light Karo Syrup at about 2 or 3 months old. It worked great. It does not cause botulism in babies, that is honey that does. Doctors wouldn't recommend something that causes Botulism. You could also try room temp weak tea. I added a littled bit of sugar to take out the bitterness.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:49 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It does have a risk of botulism, just like honey. Drs used to recommend it but haven't for a few years now. My son is 3.5 and I remember reading about the new recommendations when he was a baby. It's safe when cooked (as is honey) but you shouldn't use it straight out the bottle. Frankly though, it's really not good for anyone.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 6:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If your child is "blocked up" they dark Kayro will help to loosen things and help them pass it. If they have diarea then you should use the light Kayro... I always mixed in their bottles when they were babies. But as toddlers they don't have those issues any more.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• RhondaVeggie ~ My kids are just turning 2 and 3... My peds recommended Kayro for BOTH of them. It's the pollin that causes issues with honey, there isn't any in Kayro...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:45 PM on May. 12, 2009