Do some babies just not like to laugh all the time?

My daughter is 4.5 months old. She babbles constantly, but it seems like it's a huge struggle to get her to really laugh hard. I feel like we have to really exaggerate anything we do to get her to laugh out loud. Is there a certain age that it becomes easier, or does she maybe just have a more serious temperament?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 12:48 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My granddaughter was a somber little tyke. Her usual expression was quite serious. She is 2 now and laughs sometimes, but earlier she didn't laugh much at all.

Answer by Bmat at 12:51 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My nephew (aka The Poop Monkey) is 2 and he is very serious. I have to grab the inside of the his thighs and tickle him to get him to laugh. He is very serious. My neice (1 yr old) same way. Now the older grandkids would laugh at anything.

Maybe your daughter's personality is she is a serious kid and won't laugh unless it's deemed necessary. I hope she grows out of that. Nothing is more infectious than a genuine laugh from a baby. It's like a fingerprint. It's unique and nothing else is like it.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 12:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son was like that and finally at about 7 months he started giggling more and now at 8 months he's giggling all the time! It was so hard to get him to giggle though! I tried everything and now all I have to do is make a funny face and he's laughing away! Give it time!
    Anonymous

• myv friends baby was like that.u could be doing all things that most babies love and he would sit there and just stare at you making you feel real stupid lol.hes 1 now and he laughs allll the time.i think some babies just have attitudes
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My youngest is serious. He is often quiet and reflective. He didn't really laugh a lot until about eight months. I wouldn't worry he will laugh soon.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son did that too. I was actually worried that he wasn't laughing hysterically all the time, haha. He'd make this little chuckle, but never a large laugh. Now, he is 11 months, and NO worries about laughing ... he cracks up about everything :)
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 2:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my middle son was like that! we used to call him mr serious because he always looked like he was mad or in deep concentration- but he grew out of it- and started laughing more when he was around 6 or 7 months old- it helps if u have another child in the house to do extra silly things! my step daughter would come over on the weekends and she did this silly little fall out dance that had him cracking up! now that i think of it- she was the one all my kids laughed at first- lol
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 2:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my son didn't laugh really when he was a baby, He made a funny noise and didn't like to be tickled. some babies it takes longer for them to get the motor skills to laugh. so they don't know what to do and it frustrates them verses making them happy.
    chickaboo_mom

Answer by chickaboo_mom at 11:49 AM on May. 14, 2009