Anxiety/Can't clear head...Meditation?

I think I have been dealing with anxiety or something. I can't seem to think about nothing. Thoughts are constantly racing in my head and it gets on my nerves. Can anyone tell me how to meditate? Or do you have any good books so I can learn how to meditate?

chela17

Asked by chela17 at 1:05 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Health

• There are several ways. One way is to start by learning to concentrate. Sit comfortably without distractions around. Place an item you like to look at in front of you on a table. About eye level is good. Breathe in slowly, gathering energy from the universe. Exhale slowly, blowing gently away all tension in your body. Breathe in, hold, breathe out, hold. Keep it comfortable, and concentrate on breathing. When you feel more relaxed. Focus on the item you have picked. Focus. Breathe. If you find your mind straying, gently pull it back. Start with 5 minutes. Next time try 10 minutes. Notice when your mind is straying and pull it back. The breathing and the focusing will help your swirling thoughts. And since it is for a limited time, you know that you can resume worrying when you are done, but you'll learn about how to be peaceful.

Answer by Bmat at 1:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Get outside and walk. Then pick up the pace and keep in step by concentrating, one two one two one two. This is sort of Lamaze, that it forces you into distraction from what ails you. After a while, you will be able to slow down and keep clear headed. This is the best way I found (plus it's healthy exercise) to start in meditation. Trying to go directly into silent meditation with a anxious state of mind is nearly impossible without some sort of help in the beginning.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I hate to sound like one of those "pills work for everything" people, but you could have anxiety disorder. It's a lot more common than people think. I went undiagnosed for years. I had the racing thoughts, insomnia, and I would have legendary battles with the "what-if's". Relaxing can help, nice hot baths, walks, short drives with calming music. But I had to take medication to get mine truly under control. I hope you find what works for you.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:08 PM on May. 12, 2009