Why do people pray?

I've never understood why when things get tough, people pray to god. For example praying for someone who is sick with cancer to get better. If god's plan is for someone to die, prayer isn't going to change that. If your a believer in god, aren't you supposed to believe that god has his plan for us, even if it's not what we choose. So my question is when people pray in these types of situations are they praying to try to influence god's plan. If so, doesn't that go against the whole god knows what's best for us mentality?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• some people pray everynight. its there way of blessing everyone they love and worshipping god.when people pray cuz some1 is sick its not to influence gods plan cuz u dont noe god plan.because they are sick doesnt mean there gonna die.when there praying for some1 its just like havng hope for some1.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 1:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't think prayer is about aligning God's will to ours, rather it's about aligning our will to his.

While I think there are blessings he's just wants us to ask for before he gives them, I agree that if it's someone's time to die, they will die....but as I pray, I become comforted and remember the great plan of salvation, which makes the death much easier to bear.
    Anonymous

• When my parents were dying I prayed for peace. For them to be able to move on to a better place, to be free from pain etc. That's why I pray. It's not for me, it's for others to have strength, peace, etc. There's a reason for everything so it's not right for me to ask God to do favors, it's right for me to accept what's going to happen and praying is a way to help me through it.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:49 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Maybe some people only pray for god to help them accept what's going to happen, but from what I can see that's not the way it's done among most people of faith. For example, I attend a MOPs group, and we are constantly being asked to pray for members with sick children or family members. I really think the intention behind this request is to pray that god will heal the person. Yet, at other times, when tragic things have happened, the MOPS leaders will comfort us by saying that it was god's will. So what's the point of praying in the first place? I don't see how it's possible to believe that prayer can lead god to heal, yet still believe that god has a divine plan for everything.
    Anonymous

• Why do you talk to your best friend?
    Prayer is conversation with God. Time to spend with Him. I am not necessarly always praying for someone but blessing Him in prayer and thanking Him and just sitting and resting and listening to His voice.
    Prayer is to help us grow in faith. Actually if you read the Word.. God never said PRAY for healing. He said HEAL the sick , OPEN the eyes of the blind OPEN the ears of the deaf, The LAME to walk and RAISE the dead. It is by FAITH we do this. He never said pray for deliverance of demons. He said BE GONE. Do you ever read Jesus praying for the sick? Nope He saw what the Father is doing and HEALED them. The bible says greater works we will do than He did. Because HE is residing in US we will do the great works HE did and more. God's desire is for all to be healed but will not invade the heart without permission :-)
    Prayer is to send petitions to God for things to happen !
    Anonymous

• oh crud lol I accident hit anonymous when I went to hit answer question screen moved
    I NEVER do this UGH! Sorry guys!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• mine is the 5th answer
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:23 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I understand what you are saying. When I'm asked to pray for a situation like that, like for someone who is sick, I pray for a lot of different things. Like comfort, healing for the family involved, peace. Not just that God will save that person, I know that God has a plan and that they might not make it, so I pray for comfort and peace, understanding as well.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:35 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i pray to have a closer relationship with him. this is our way of communicating with him telling him our desires and thanking him for all the blessings and asking for answers. i must admit i need to pray more often but i have found when i do on a regular basis i do feel closer to him and know that he is listening. he can't listen to me when i'm not talking with him.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• well.. i'm not christian.. and don't believe there is someone answering those prayers.. but the power of your own mind can do a lot.. you can help your own body fight through illnesses.. if you truly believe enough in yourself... even if you have to use the idea of a God... the results are the same.. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time.. but on occasion it does.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:48 PM on May. 12, 2009