Church or no Church?

I believe in God but don't feel the need to go to church. Is that alright?

Ash3807

Asked by Ash3807 at 1:18 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• If it feels right to you, then it's right. I didn't go to church for many years and then I just decided to return this year. So it's totally up to you. GOD is everywhere!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 1:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it's alright. DH and I are catholic, and parishoners for a catholic church, however we do not attend services. We did when I was pregnant and when our son (now 11 months) was younger, but now it's a little harder since all the services are in the middle of nap time or feeding time. I do not want to take a grumpy child to church, won't do it! When he gets older, we'll start going more often. I actually feel better, as a person, when I go and especially after the services.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i suppose it would be better then going to a bad church but i can't see myself never going to my church ever again. i look forward to it every week and get this so do my kids. i feel that the church helps me renew my covenant cause i take the sacrament and it reminds me of lessons that i need to keep working on and refresh myself on. it'd my salvation plus it a covenant the lord wants me to keep plus i need to be an example for my children and if i want them to grow up to be good spiritual people and go on missions then the best course to make that happens is to have the gospel taught them and they learn to live and love it. so for me it would be wrong not to go to church. i rarely ditch church maybe 2-3 a yr if that. my husbands life changed and we have been blessed by our church attendance and following the lords commandments. most people i know don't go leaves me to wonder just how much they love god.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I can't say much as I haven't been to church in a while. But there is a verse in the bible where God tells us to go to church and worship with other believers. Being around other believers builds you up and helps to keep you grounded in your faith. I definitely need to get back in to it!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• yes. I don't go to a traditional church. The Bible says He is with us always so if he's here with me then i dont have to get dressed up and drive cross town and sit in some pew for an hour and be bored by some man who drones on about stuff. I can stay home and read the Bible and really learn what God is trying to say to me. I do admit the Bible says to Forsake Not Assemblage but it also says where two or more are gathering so there shall I be. Point is that you can meet someone for lunch and share the joy of the Lord and it's "church". It's all good
    shrinkydink68

Answer by shrinkydink68 at 2:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have a problem with not going to church on Sunday. It states several times to gather together on the first day of the week for fellowship and partake of the Lord's Supper. You may get the fellowship by going out to lunch but not the Lord's Supper. To me this is more important then the fellowship as I remember that my Lord suffered and died for me.

If you're attending a church that is boring then perhaps you need to try a new church. I look forward to hearing our minister each and every Sunday morning. If I don't learn something new then it's my fault. He's wonderful as are the other members of our church.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Jesus set foot in churches only a handful of times in his entire life. In fact he railed against those traditional Jews who had religion on the outside but not on the inside. He generally preached in the open air with the beauty of nature around him. Those who consider him to be Christ and who wish to be Christ-LIKE don't need a building to make their connection with him. He is with you every moment, or he isn't. A church isn't going to make any difference either way.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it's great! I don't go to church, and I feel that my relationship with God is that much stronger because of it. I rely on what He tells ME, and what I get from my Bible readings - NOT what some preacher says.

And, I have to say, I really love what witchqueen said!!
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I go to church every Sunday. I feel my relationship with God is stronger and it keeps me centered connect so to speak. I pray all day everyday. On Sunday I go to Church it brings me back and reminds me there is a bigger picture that there is more going on then just the prayers and Bible. God Almighty is to be worshiped and worship with others who want to express and share in the Good News of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

I have been to church at the lake, in buildings with gold alters, in my house, and even in school cafeterias and gyms. The "where" is not important, it is practice and the worship that is important. The first churches were in living rooms.

I know many people who never step inside a church and some love to poke fun and gossip, others are moral and loving. I go to church with generous people who help others where and some who are not so good.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely. Living and breathing your beliefs is what counts. =)
    TortisShell

Answer by TortisShell at 10:24 AM on May. 14, 2009