Would this tick you off??

My husband has gone back into the working world after about 4 months of being laid off. I work, so we had some sort of income during those 4 months. I stayed on top of the bills and we never fell behind on anything. He had some dumb moments where he would blow thru some money and I would get mad, but now I am over it and who cares about the past...until yesterday. Now that he has "his" paycheck he wants to buy a jet ski. Since I feel it's not the smartest time to do so (my car is in the shop right now) he wants to seperate the money and split the bills, since I am being "bossy with the money." I am so mad! We need to start looking at me a work vehicle (my car has 210k miles on it) and he wants to go get a jet ski. He kept his luxury expenses like his satellite radio and movie channels that I kept and paid for during the lay off and now I am being told that no car, we're getting a jet ski or we split the bills! Help!!!

Mrs.Phillips007

Asked by Mrs.Phillips007 at 1:21 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• I would so be pissed off. My husband and i are only 20 so we dont have much experience with holding a house and paying other bills besides car insurance and cell phones but he does the same thing. He wants to either spend money thats not there or spend money that "we" have for something "we" dont need. I keep telling him that since we got married, everything isnt just mine and his, its ours, that we share everything. Now if your hubby wants to go and do that, then idk what to tell ya. The way id approach it may not be the way you would. Id talk to him calmly and explain that its not needed and that you NEED a car otherwise u quit ur job and he has to make the money and pay ALL the bills
    CJK_2009

Answer by CJK_2009 at 1:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I wish i could say something to help. i dont work. i got out of the army on medical and now its super hard for me to even get an interview because of it. and my husband trys to pull the well i make the money thing it drives me nuts. i hope things work out. i know its hard when you need a car and want to get the bills paid off sooner. thats what im trying to get done.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 1:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Part of me wants to say, let him have his half of the bills and when his satellite radio, and cable channels and who knows what else gets turned off, he will see the error of his ways. But the other half of me says kick his ass right now and tell him he's freakin' crazy if he thinks he's getting a jet ski. Put your foot down I say. As a family your priorities are bills, cars, and food. Then if you have money left over, you can play some. He is having a huge baby fit and I would not let him get away with it. If he goes out and buys the jet ski anyway that would be a very hurtful thing to do. Tell him to grow up! Good luck. I know a few guys like him.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 1:32 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I say let him get the jet ski. He just got a job, he should be allowed to celebrate! Then you need to sit him down and get him involved in the bills so he doesn't feel you are bossy with the money. Since he has money now he should get to say how it's spent, otherwise he is going to resent you, and if he doesn't know what bills there are then how does he know that they have to be paid??
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:50 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Your vechicle and your safety in that vechicle should be top
    priority over
    jet skiis.....
    Yes I would be ticked off, he is acting like he is in high school and not like a responsible
    man.
    I'll bet he will be broke in a matter of months if you choice to split the bills..
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:51 PM on May. 12, 2009

• sounds like my SO i gave him an ultamatum and that ended that REAL quick!
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 2:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it's horrible of him to act that way. Yeah, a jet ski sounds like fun, but does he really want you driving yourself and your kids around in an unreliable car? What if you get stranded on the side of the road?! Yeah, we're in the era of cell phones when help is only a quick call away, but lots of things can happen.

It might be funny to bribe the owner of the garage where your car is to tell him it needs a new motor and transmission! Hee hee hee......
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Men are selfish spenders (at least that is my experience with my dh). They buy on impulse, and they cannot figure out why women spend so much time shopping (because we look for ways to save money and to stretch our dollar). If I sent my dh grocery shopping he would be done in half the time but have spent 5 times the amount........you dh needs to prioritize. Maybe sit down together with the bills and then make a list of things you want to get paid and once those are paid and all bills are currenty you EACH should be able to buy a toy........not just a toy for him, you earned it too!
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 2:23 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Well I think you have a right to be mad. Your work car should come before a 'toy' jet ski. I would hand him a bill for the satellite and 'toys' of his you paid for when he was laid off and remind him that YOUR money paid for HIS toys, and now that he is working again you would like your money back. I would also let him know that if you don't have a reliable vehicle you won't be able to work- and then HE would be stuck paying all the bills with his money! (maybe that would shock him back into reality). Good luck!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Why don't you buy a car with your own paycheck?
    Anonymous