No table manners

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter who has terrible table manners. We have eaten every meal at the table since she started eating baby food. She is still very messy. She will throw her silverware on the floor and cups and occasionally through food. I can's get her to stop. I even give her time outs and it doesn't work. Shouldn't she be doing better than this or is this typical? She doesn't only do this sort of thing with food she tests me and her father constantly. The moment we turn our back from her she is getting into trouble.

tinaaly

Asked by tinaaly at 1:23 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• welcome to the terrible two's! Its pretty typical i think. If my son throws food he is done and may try again at the next meal time.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:25 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I thinks it's pretty normal. Some kids are just more inclined to be messy or neat. My three and a half year old daughter will still make a mess every now and then, but my two and a half year old brother will stop eating just to clean up! This might sound silly, but try putting an outfit on her that she really likes before mealtime and explaining to her that if it gets dirty, she can't wear it anymore until you wash it. Maybe that will make her want to be a little neater at the table. Good luck!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 1:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son is only 11 months and if he throws any of his food, or bottle for that matter, he is done eating. If he throws a fit at the table, he goes into his crib to calm down.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 1:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It certainly is pretty typical. We got my son to stop throwing things at meals by simply ending the meal as soon as anything went flying. If I didn't think he'd had enough to eat, I gave it some time (maybe 10 or 15 minutes) then restarted the meal. It didn't take long for him to get the message.These sort of behaviors are attention getting mechanisms so the less attention they get, the sooner they'll stop.
    Anonymous