The other day I felt a lump underneath my areola and it hurts. I'm 38 weeks pregnant and I'm sure it's just a clogged duct. I called my doctor already and the nurse I talked to was no help. She told me to show my doctor at my next appointment but if there is something I can do about it sooner to relieve the pain I'd like to. So far the only information I can find about the situation is to nurse, but I'm still pregnant. I've thought about using my breast pump to remove the obstruction but I've he

Asked by misskay888 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Warm compress and massage helps... sorry, not much more to do than that. You can try the pump, but many women complain that the pump will GIVE them clogged ducts

Answer by sapient at 11:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If it is infact from your milk, try taking a hot shower and let the water hit it. Not to sound weird, but rub the spot. It will probably hurt a lot to do that, but it will help release it. If not, you could try putting a warm, wet washcloth on it. I'm not sure a pump would work yet since you're probably not producing that much milk yet.

Answer by jamie8506 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If anything is coming out at all, like if you've been leaking some, get a warm rag and just massage it. It will hurt at first but it will start to get some relief. I had clogged ducts tons of times with my son. Not cool at all!

Answer by atheistzmbie at 12:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Hot shower with massage at the lump while in the shower is what did it for me. I started lactating at about 20 weeks, so I had this problem a lot. My hands would get tired so my husband would take over for me. (I really don't think he minded)

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:08 AM on Jun. 21, 2008