Who thinks that dealing with the Public Aid office is a joke?

I absolutely HATE dealing with the public aid office in IL. I've worked my butt off since I was 16 and paid taxes. The whole bit. Now I'm struggling and need the state's help and all i get is the run around and no return of phone calls, etc. It drives me NUTS!

TheDiva320

Asked by TheDiva320 at 1:44 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• You can request a change in caseworkers some are just jerks and forget that some people that are asking for help really do need it... good luck to you I had the same problem in the past with my daughters medical.
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 1:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I know what you mean. Did you have to prove that you and your kids were a US Citizen before getting approved for any help? I think that is a crock. I live in Wisconsin and I know what it is to not get return call from caseworker. Try emailing if you have the caseworkers email address. That is sometimes faster. Call and ask to talk to the caseworkers supervisor. To play devils advocate, the casewoker is probably overloaded with cases and has little time to return calls. And sometimes, the caseworker is just an idiot.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Some may wonder if it is meant to be a bother, so as to discourage people that might not need it so bad from getting it. I don't mean that in a rude way, just that if you are getting help, generally you are expected to jump through some hoops. They may be many in number and redundant. If they didn't have those hoops for you to jump through, people that don't need the help would be getting it, making it harder for those in need to get the help they require.
    Anonymous

• I'm out in CA, but when I was on WIC for a short time, I was treated so badly I decided that I would rather do anything else but go back to that office!

I have had a job and paid taxes since I was 16, and I have a career. But when I first moved to CA I wasn't eligible for insurance through my employer for 3 months and was expecting. I registered for Medi-cal (and was therefore eligible for WIC). I was treated horribly by my first physican's staff and the WIC office as well.

No wonder people go into those places with an attitude!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:10 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Here,due to the higher population of Latinos...if you are NOT Latino,you will not get a return phone call within a reasonable amount of time....
    I've tried getting my family on public assistance soo many times...I'm soo not the 'politically correct' race in this area..besides that...I'm a LEGAL citizen,go figure!!
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 2:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I've called the caseworker, I've called her supervisor, I've called her supervisor's supervisor. I've even called the Inspector General. I keep getting the same stupid answer "your application fell out of the computer, you'll have to resubmit. But don't worry, next month you'll be fine" Tell me HOW an application falls out of a COMPUTER?! And now, they don't even answer that the public aid office when i call!.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If you need the aid so badly, go sit in their office until they give you an answer. Screaming babies are always a squeaky wheel to grease. They will fall all over themselves to get you out of there.

Anonymous

• Anon- I would LOVE to do that. But I have no vehicle and I'm due to have a baby next week so my dr doesn't want me riding the bus anymore. I don't know anyone in the area so I can't get a ride. It's almost like they hope I will just go away. You are right though, I go there with my son and I'm in and out, problem solved. It's amazing how they "suddenly" get available when you show up.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I know some of my family members who have asked to speak with thier caseworker and was told thathtye were busy. SO my fam. said ok I'll wait and sure it took most tof the day and sometimes till the office was getting ready to close but they saw their caseworker.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I was on it for a little while in Texas and unless you where black or a crack addict you were treated like shit.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:40 PM on May. 12, 2009