My son is a year old and I just switched from formula to cow milk, however he doesnt seem to like the flavor or whatever. Any recommendations on what to put in the milk? Help!

blugem

Asked by blugem at 1:48 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Chocolate syrup
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Did you wean staight to cow milk? If so... try mixing a little formula with it for a few days and gradually reduce formula.
    Ash3807

Answer by Ash3807 at 1:50 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't use actual chocolate syrup because of all the added sugar and preservatives, ovaltine will get the same result and add some good stuff too without the extra crap. Some people say ovaltine stains, but I would rather have a few stains than all the extra sugar.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the post above.. try mixing formula in (assuming your son was on formula). We followed our doctor's advice and started with 2/3 formula and 1/3 milk for a couple weeks, then 1/3 formula and 2/3 milk, and eventually just milk. Transition was nice and easy!
    Mandarina23

Answer by Mandarina23 at 1:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes I mixed the formula with the cow milk for about 2 weeks, but now that hes drinking it straight he doesnt seem to like it very much.
    blugem

Answer by blugem at 1:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree Mix with formula for a while. If he still doesnt like it then the stores do carry sugar free chocolate syrup.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• ok thank you all!
    blugem

Answer by blugem at 1:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Unless your son is a baby cow, he can live quite well without cow milk. There are many (much healthier) milk-like beverage. Water is the best drink. As explained here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html, plant based calcium is superior to animal based, and good fats for growing brains can come from avocado, egg yolk, ground flax, hemp oil or flax oil.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• He doesn't need th emilk at all. Water is great...the nutrients he needs are in the fgoods you give him.

No chocolate please...you want him to take it straight.

Mine rarely drank milk. Not a problem at all per his doc...we in fact were advised to remove dairy from his diet due to his Asperger's.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Ovaltine. I put a little bit in my son's milk, just to give it a little color & chocolate flavor.
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 4:44 PM on May. 12, 2009