Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Our 17 and 18 year-olds went to our house while we were on vacation, after we specifically told them not to. Property was damaged as a result of them not listening to us. Can we charge them with trespassing?

Can we charge our 17 year old and our 18 year old with trespassing?

Answer Question

Asked by soccermom.annie at 1:50 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • They are your children? right? and why can't you try something with in the family? Yes you can press changes to answer your question.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • yep, if they don't live their, then yep call the cops.

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Technically.. Yes you can press charges... But, really should you?! Are your kids that bad that you would want that on their record? they are 17 & 18! IMO they are losely still your responsibility!
    I guess it would depend on alot more things..

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • I agree I would not want to charge them unless they are really bad. You never know what is ahead in life, and if the got in to trouble (sometimes very unintentially) those charges can add up to trouble. I'd find another way to make them pay - for example, if they have any kind of financial dependency on you, I would deduct it from that. I would think at some point they will need something from you, and I'd certainly make them 'pay' one way or another at that time!

    Answer by PhillyinFrance at 3:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Call the police and ask them. Laws are different everywhere but hard to bring about trespassing charges if they live there!

    Answer by admckenzie at 7:10 PM on May. 12, 2009

  • Ya know what...this is just a retarded question..I mean really..they're YOUR kids and you couldnt even take me on vacation with you?

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on May. 13, 2009

  • um why in the world would you want to press charges on YOUR OWN children!!!?? why would you want your children to have a record? and do they not live with you?? if so why wouldn't you let them stay at the house in the first place?? i know its bad that they damaged the property but you are their parents. My parents allow me to stay at the house any time.

    Answer by Benjamins-mama at 1:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • yea you can, i moved out of my moms house at 19 and they went on vacation and she said she would charge me with trespassing if i went to their house, but if they live with you that would be the stupidest thing ive ever heard of

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • techinically, yes. but morally, ethically --- NO!!!
    BTW, a tresspassing charge will stay on their record and in some instances even if you are not found guilty just the fact that you are arrested must be declared and can affect employment.

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

  • I would just invest in better locking systems and/or an alarm system. I would also warn them that if they do it again, you will press charges. I don't know about doing it right now, unless the damage was really extensive and very expensive...even then - it would be difficult.

    Sometimes our kids make themselves out to be our enemies when they behave like criminals! I'm sorry they disrespected you so much!

    Answer by TLALONDE16 at 6:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.