I need help with my 9 year old son.

I am having trouble getting my son to listen to me and his dad. We have tried everything. We put him in time out,tried talking to him nicely and most of time you have to raise your voice at him. When you ask him to do something he`ll just stand there and look at you like your stupid. He is still in diapers. We are trying to get him potty trained and when he has a wet or poopy diaper he won`t even tell you about he`ll just sit in it. He is in special education. Please help!!!!!!!!

kitty12

Asked by kitty12 at 1:55 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Before i can help if you don't mind me asking does he have a disability? Is that why he is still in pampers?
    214mommydearest

Answer by 214mommydearest at 1:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Do you think he might have a hearing problem? One of my friends daughter used to do the same thing. She thought it was just behavior, here it turned out she was deaf in one ear and we never knew it.
    Yebbers

Answer by Yebbers at 1:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Have you spoke with the doctor? You really need to do that. If he is special ed, he may have other things going on.
    Anonymous

• Kids with special needs do not develop on regular time frames. Have you tried joining a group for special needs kids? ~~~ I would imagine there must be a few on here. They would have a lot of good advice for you.
    It's really hard to say what I would do, since I'm not in your shoes, but I think I would push him as much as I could and treat him as "normal" as I could......How much does he understand? Does he know that he should use the toilet, and he is just stubborn? Or, is he really not able to? If he is just being a "brat", I would make him clean up and change himself. When he doesn't listen to you, take him by the hand, and show him what you are asking him. I just had to do this with my 2-year-old trying to get him to pick up the crayons...I don't imagine it's much different, unless your son is really, truly unable.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:03 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You didn't say if he is special needs. Is he? IF he is not speical needs, then let him clean himself up when he has an accident. Other than a disability, there is no reason a 9 year old should still be in diapers, I know of no school that would allow a child that old to attend and still be in diapers. I wouldn't want to make any suggestions on how to discipline without knowing if he has a disability or not.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You need to talk with someone who is an expert in the field of your child's issues.....There may be specific things that work or don't work well with kids like your son. Start with the school and his doctor....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 10:02 AM on May. 14, 2009