How do you feel about the death penalty?

In a recent article, a man on death row for 22 years was set free based on new DNA evidence, along with the possilbility that if he commited the crime, he did not act alone or what role he played in the murder.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090512/ap_on_re_us/us_legal_limbo

Keep in mind that 50-52% of death penalty sentences are commuted to a life sentence (due to many factors) and that 2-3% of those on death row were exonerated by DNA evidence. On average there are 65 death sentences carried out a year. That would average out to approximatly 2 people each year that may have been innocent. ~Average percentages compiled from multiple sites~

Has your opinion changed with the technological advances in criminal investigation? (such as DNA collection,etc)

Does the 'greater good' of the death penalty (for those that deserve it) outweigh the rare mistake for society's benefit?

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 1:59 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I support the death penalty.

The use of DNA is a very valuable tool in making sure there are no wrong convictions.

I think we should be extremely diligent in the prosecution of ALL cases, not just death penalty ones.

I think that all existing death row inmates should have their cases reviewed for possible DNA exoneration. The exception being those cases where DNA evidence has already been established or there is a lack of it in evidence.

I also think the use of the death penalty should be expanded to include repeat sexual offenders and child molesters. These people cannot be rehabilitated and we cannot afford what it costs to support them for the rest of their lives. Not only that, but those crimes are heinous.

I also think it shouldn't take 20 years to carry out the sentence. Things should be moved through the courts much faster.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't believe in the death penatly unless there is 110% certainty that the person is guilty. There has to be NO doubt. I also believe that 2 wrongs don't make a right. There have been too many innocent people put to death only to find out that they were innocent.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I'm on the fence about it. I can't really say I'm "for" one way or the other...
    and opinions on this one will vary GREATLY...
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 2:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If it is proven 100% without doubt that, that person committed the crime, yes I agree with it.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 2:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• The death penalty is a necessary evil. I don't agree with punishing people for their crimes. They need to be rehabilitated, and they need to be given a trade that they will be happy with and will be proud of when they leave prison.

But some people should never be allowed to walk the streets again. Those are the people who will continue to murder and rape regardless of rehabilitation. And rather than our tax dollars going to feeding and housing them for decades, they should be executed because they can not become contibuting members of society.

So, yes I agree with the use of the death penalty in cases where we are dealing with psychotics who cannot change. People like Bundy, Dahmer, etc.
    Anonymous

• I am for the death penalty in cases of child molestation, and some rare, extra-heinous murders, or serial murders. I do think that there must be utterly 100% proof of guilt, and the convicted is allowed 1 appeal. If he is again judged guilty, the sentence must be carried out within a year of the second verdict. None of this hanging around for 25 years till they hopefully die of old age before they are executed. They were ordered executed, so do it already.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:13 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I am anti-death penaly. I am also anti war.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i am for the death penalty as long as it is 100% sure that the person commited the crime. If the did, they should be prosecuted immediately. Not sit in a prision for 50 years then get it. If there is question about it then the investigation should be continued until confirmed. For example like the guy last week or so that threw a baby out of a car somewhere in florida i think and they know he did it. He should be sent straight to the death table. Why let a scum bag like that sit in prision for years eating good and not doing much of anything live on our dollar?
    Anonymous

• I am against it, because I am against murder.
    momandvet

Answer by momandvet at 2:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Even God believes in the death penalty. The bible says "an eye for an eye" So if you believe the bible is the word of God, and if you believe that God is constant and unchanging, you must believe in the death penalty.
    Anonymous