Did anyone else do a lot of soul searching or have you always been the religion you are now?

I went to a lot of different churches ( southern baptist, catholic, luthran, SDA, and LDS) and researched many world religions (Buddism, Hinduism, Judaism, Taoist) before I found a name to put to my beliefs, Pagan. I have to say it's given me respect for differences in beliefs.

paganmom05

Asked by paganmom05 at 2:10 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Since 19 born again believer of Jesus Christ and will not no way no how choose anything else or leave the one that Loves me so much . I was MORE miserable without Jesus than with Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:14 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I was raised in a Baptist home, but it just never felt quite "right" for me. When I was old enough to buy my own books with my allowance, I found one by Silver Ravenwolf, the wonderful Wiccan author. I read it, and knew in my heart that it was the path for me. I waited for years to tell my family, and they still don't really "get" it, but I poked at my mom to read "To stir a Magic Cauldron" by Ravelwolf, she said she understood why I chose that particular path, and was very supportive.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yea I did soul searching before I found a name to my beliefs, Pagan. During my dedication to Paganism I cried because I knew I was home. I had never felt that in any other path. I had been southern Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, nothing brought me the comfort or peace that I immediately felt and continue to feel to this day.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I was not born into a Family of JW's, My mom was Catholic my dad Atheist, I did alot of questioning of those who told me what the Bible said, but when reading it it just didn't line up, I mean how can a God that is so loving still torture people and not a short term but forever, why would a loving God NEED to kill people and take them from their children so he could have them in heaven? so after a study of the Bible (which I still study and read) I found out h doesn't torment people in a place called Hell and he doesn't take our loved ones for his Bouquet in Heaven (yes, I was told this)
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:19 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i never needed to seek my soul for the truth cause it was there from my birth since i was born in the covenant in the church of jesus christ of latter day saints(lds). i have strayed but i returned and i have been ever blessed. there is no other church out there that i would find any interest in. mine suits me just great.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My family is somewhat LDS. I only went to the LDS church a handful of times during my childhood. But I grew up in an area that is more than 90% LDS. Whew! It was a little overwhelming growing up. Before I was baptized (at 8 years) my family took me to several different Christian churches just to make sure. I chose LDS because I knew I would get a party if I was baptized.

I remember thinking that the idea of an afterlife, a god who knows all things like Santa Clause, someone being resurected, and many of the other Christian stories sounded a little silly. I started thinking this way when I was around 10. I can't say that I did a lot of soul searching. Being atheist always felt right to me. Religion never did.

In my adult life I studied a lot about the history of Christianity, Islam, and many other religions. More as an educational experience rather than a spiritual quest. Still feel good about my decision.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I was raised Catholic, until my mother left the church and became a baptist when I was about 10 years old. I left the Christian faith as a teen and researched and learned about other belief systems until I discovered paganism. It has only been in the last few years that I have Identified myself as an eclectic solitary pagan, with some Wiccan beliefs.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:23 PM on May. 12, 2009

• pwnmom- i can completely relate!!
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 2:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I've always been Christian, but I know in my heart that it's what I need to be. :-) But, like you, I try to be respectful of other beliefs.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• A little of both, I guess?

I have always held Buddhist beliefs, but I didn't know that's what they were until my mid-twenties. In my teen years I attended TONS of churches of different denominations and, if asked, I would tell you I believed --- but I never really did.

One day a woman asked me about my beliefs & my answers just led to more questions. This went on every time I saw her for weeks, & I just got sick fo playing 20 questions with her. I figured there HAD to be a denomination (of Christianity, I assumed) that I fit in with & if I could figure it out, we could talk about something else for a change! LOL

So, I started researching... and here I am. I didn't convert... I didn't choose... I didn't change. I am who I am & who I've always been.... it just took me a while to find the proper term for it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:35 PM on May. 12, 2009