When did you switch the carseat to face forward?

Mandarina23

Asked by Mandarina23 at 2:10 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• AT 13months. Just make sure your toddler is over the weight limit before you forward face.
    Kaydenz_Mom

Answer by Kaydenz_Mom at 2:13 PM on May. 12, 2009

• When they reach 1 year AND 20 pounds...although they HIGHLY recommend you keep the seat rear facing as long as your child lets you...they are safer when rear facing.
    Anonymous

• The Law says 1 year AND 20 lbs.
    The AAP has recommended that parents hold off on forward facing until 2yrs/35 lbs because it is the safest way to sit in a car. No matter how you wreck, side impact, rear ended, head on, the force is thrown to the front of the car. If your baby is sitting forward facing, even a small fender bender could internally decapitate your baby. The bone that holds the head to the neck is not strong enough until at least 2. So all that force throwing your baby forward will literally snap their neck. Most people are concerned about rear facing babies and their legs being smashed against the seat. The likelihood of that is very slim. Even so, broken legs arent life threatening. Not in the way a broken neck is. I turned my now 4yr old around on her first birthday. I didnt know all of this valueable information. I have a 8mth old. He will rear face until he meets the weight limit on his car seat...
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 2:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Another reason people turn their babies around is because they dont like not being able to see their babies. Thats a legit fear. I dont care for it either. I have one of those mirrors that strap onto the back of the seat. It is securely on there, and its not made of glass. You have to be careful with those because they arent that safe in a wreck though. So if you need to, get one that will secure tightly. My little boy has vommiting problems, and so the benefits outweigh the risk. Some say that their babies are bad in the car and they would like to forward face. Well, babies dont know the difference. And.. your childs happiness, while important, does not outweight safety. Some say their babies are car sick. The great news is a quick visit to your dr. can take care of that. Please research this thoroughly before you make a decision. Its an important one.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 2:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• At exactly one yr, and she was 22 lb.'s. I couldn't wait any longer because she hated the infant car seat. She couldn't see anything but the back of the seat. It was a nightmare for 3 months, everytime we got in the car, before we switched.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 2:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My son turned two last week and is still RFing, he's 29 lbs. I'll turn him around when he is 35lbs.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 2:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We haven't. She's 2.5 years old. It's safest to keep them rear facing as long as possible. Don't know why you would put them at risk.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:53 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I turned my daughter around at 22 months and 23 lbs. I was going to keep her rear facing longer, but we needed to move the car seat between cars a few times and it's a bitch to install rear facing but only takes about 2 minutes to put in forward facing. So I've keep it forward facing.
    Anonymous

• We switched to forward-facing just after our son passed the one year and 20 lb. mark, but after reading about the AAP's new recommendation, our next baby's car seat will be rear-facing until he reaches the 35 lb. mark.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 4:49 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We turned our DD's seat around at 9 months because she was 20lbs and way too long to sit facing the rear any longer.
    Anonymous