My husband says I'm a "nightmare" to travel with and doesn't want to plan any family vacations... any suggestions?

Really, I'm not. It's just that we've only been married for a year (dated for 4), have an 8 month old and vacations- especially getting out the door- take a lot of planning and work. He's still in bachelor mode and used to just doing things like he always has, which doesn't work anymore. I suggested he get a prescription for an anti-anxiety med for the day of travel.

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 2:12 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Travel

• My husband expects me to do the planning, too. So I make lists. One vacation that my husband did help with was a tour of New England. I gave him a tour book and he picked out places he'd like to visit. I took care of how long to stay and reservations, and packing and arranging for the cats and house to be taken care of while we were gone. If you want to go on vacations, take your time, make your lists, and then when all is organized you'll be ready. Perhaps weekend vacations would be a way to go to keep it simpler. Traveling with an infant or young child does take planning. :)

Answer by Bmat at 2:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• When my husband and I took our first trip together with our son we planned ahead... well I did most of the planning. We looked everything up first where we wanted to go, eat, and what we wanted to do. Packed ahead of time and had everything ready. We left at night so the baby would sleep majority of the time we were traveling and that helped so much. And we took the portable dvd player which was the best idea we'd had! lol
    sailfishmommy

Answer by sailfishmommy at 2:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• vacations? What are vacations? Lucky ladies, the only vacation I get is maybe one camping trip a year for a couple of days.....but with a soon to be 5 year old and a ababy on the way I haven't even been camping in years! Right now the best I can hope for is Nana takes my son for a night or two and I can sleep in....now THAT'S a vacation!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• yes!!! Go to a place that is all inclusive with babysitting too! You don't argue about when or where you will eat, there is no stress about how expensive the menu is and you can get a little alone time. Our family relly likes cruising!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:58 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Did you tell him he's a nightmare to take along?? JK well you're a busy mommy and taking along an 8 month old it's not easy either, they require so much more packing and caring specially if they are traveling away from home...I think you answered your own question...anxiety pills for the traveling days! good luck :)
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• When you have kids, vacations have to be planned out well in advance. We have 3 kids who are 12, 10, and 4. when we vacation, I have lists of what to pack, where to stop along the way, what to do while we are there, how long to stay, everything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If he does not want to travel with you, then you should certainly feel free to go without him.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If you do all the planning? This will go much easier. Just tell him when to take the days off and leave it at that. My husband is the same way. Now that we have an 11 year old. I take my camping list and make sure the camper is stocked, get the luggage packed and have the husband hook up the camper and off we go. Might want to try it. If all else fails? Ask your mother to go with you. I do. She loves it. Good luck.
    jns131

Answer by jns131 at 7:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• First & Foremost find out HIS dream Vacations. Then offer to go on HIS trip, then rotate, Kids next year, then yours, then his, etc. If your lucky youll find one that you all will like! Plan everything & get everything ready so all he has to do is take off work. Take a baby sitter along, like a family members cousin or sisters daughter, something like that, if you can afford it, so you can spend more time together. If He really HATES it, go with a friend & her kids & bond as a family some other way. If he is doing it because hes LAZY, remind him that some things are necessary for a Happy Family besides the food/shelter thing & he needs to make the best face sometimes like he should as a Good Husband & Father. Everyone likes happy memories of their childhood & of raising their kids in their old age. He will appreciate it later. Drugs shouldnt be used to solve every problem.

dansuehath

Answer by dansuehath at 4:24 PM on May. 16, 2009