Is it normal for my 22months old to not be talking?

I was just wondering. My son is talking but not in english lol. I know alot of kids his age are already talking. I know every child does things at their own pace i just wanted to make sure if i needed to be concerned or not.

Kaydenz_Mom

Asked by Kaydenz_Mom at 2:15 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would talk to the pediatrician. If they think its a problem then you might have to see a speech thearapist. My cousin had to see one when she was around the same age. She is now 11 and talks perfectly.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Might want to get the hearing checked out. If he's babbling but not saying any words I'd worry about how he was hearing.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 2:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Nope, you should contact your department of health (at least that's how it is done in NYS) and ask for Early intervention. They will evaluate your DS and set up therapy if necessary. Good luck!
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 2:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Omg.. It's perfectly normal! All kids are different. My son turned 2 in December and is Just now talking like he should be lol. and he still talks jibberish... and the doctor said he's fine. You can still take him to get evaluated, which i did with my son but I wouldn't worry to much about it.
    hm61686

Answer by hm61686 at 3:23 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You know your child better than anyone. First, I would check into his hearing. If that is okay, is he babbling, responding to one step directions, does he understand what you are saying. All of these things are important. My son only said 1 word at 15 months and only 2 or three at 18 months. The doctor wanted him evaluated right away. I just didn't agree. Early intervention is important, but he was responding to directions and could hear fine. I just kept working with him and reading a ton with him. I wanted to wait until he was 2 before getting him evaluated. By 2 he was really picking up on speech. By 25 months he was saying 50 words (which is the goal by time they are 2). Now he is almost 29 months and he is repeating everything we say and is making his own 3-4 word sentences. Go with your gut. I think sometimes we just need to relax and let our children develop at their own rate.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It depends on what you mean by "talking".
    By 22 months, he should have 20 to 50 words. These words may not sound like the words you know and use but if you know what he means then it counts as a word. For example, my daughter used "dee" for "balloon" - she always used it and I knew what she meant so it counted as a word. Kids will use sounds they can make for ones they can't, they will drop the end off of words - "skah" instead of "spaghetti", or they will skip the beginning - "nana" instead of "banana".

Sometime around 24 months, most kids will be using 2 word phrases - more cookies (mo ooee).

By 30 months, most will be using 4 to 5 words sentences and you can understand 75% of what he says.

By 36 months, you can have conversations and will understand 90% of what is said. There will still be pronunciation problems until early grade school and there will be grammar problems for years though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Thanks ladies!
    Kaydenz_Mom

Answer by Kaydenz_Mom at 4:09 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My youngest started speech therapy at 22 months. He finally said his first word at 23 months and now at 2 1/2 years is using phrases and small sentences. He still has a serious articulation problem and they're working on that now.

In answer to your question...no it is not normal for a 22 month old to NOT be speaking at all. Babbling is a good sign, but he should be saying some real words.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Definitely get him checked out. Kids should be talking pretty proficiently by that age and using sentences consistently.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My don wasn't talking at 18 months and my doctor recommended having his evaluated through Early Intervention. He started speech therapy and at 2 now has over 150 words (some more understandable than others). perhaps he might have gotten to the same point on his own but I felt more comfortable doing something about it since he was clearly behind others his age.
    Anonymous