How do you potty train a toddler that isn't talking yet?

Kaydenz_Mom

Asked by Kaydenz_Mom at 2:16 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• good question! my son is only 13 months...still too young to potty train, but i'm hoping by the time he's "ready" he can at least wave his head "yes" or "no" when asked if he has to go!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You don't, you wait.
    Anonymous

• You simply take them to the potty. Expecting your child to tell you he has to go or expecting him to honestly answer "YES" if you ask is one of the biggest mistakes you can make. Yes, many kids do tell their parents they have to go - in the first weeks. But most kids STOP telling and start saying "NO" when you ask once the excitment wears off.
    Ask yourself this...
    If your child had a choice between playing with a favorite toy or stitting in the boring bathroom waiting to pee, which do you think he'll choose? The toy of course!
    Kids don't see it as ignoring their body's signal or lying to you - they really, really wish it was true that they didn't have to go, so they will just keep on wishing that until it's too late and they pee all over themselves.
    Don't ask, don't expect them to tell. Simply take them! Remember that "I forgot" accidents are common up to age 6.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Good answer Kaycee
    Kaydenz_Mom

Answer by Kaydenz_Mom at 4:10 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Im so glad you askd this ? cause I have a 28 month old who is not talking but will nod his head yes or no if he has to go potty. However now that the excitment is over he doesnt want to go potty unlike befor he was so proud of him self but I agree they much rather play with there toys then sit on the potty. When I ask him if he needs to go potty now he says yes but when we get in the bathroom he gets in the bath tub and signals to me that he wants to have bath time lol. Kids are so funny. Im just going to wait a little longer untill hes more aware of how this potty thing works. Oh and I tried the no diapers and only underware thing for a day and we had several accidents. Thats why I think its best to wait untill they can talk a little more that way they can understand they must go potty in the bathroom and not there undys lol.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 4:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• We started potty training at 14 months. We would literally control her fluids. We would give her a lot of water and than put her on the potty about 1/2 hour later. Also, pay attention to when she goes number two. It is usually the same time everyday. Around that time, put her on the potty. For the first little while, it is all about you reminding them and putting them on the potty when you think they will need to go. It is a full time job. It took a little less than a month for my dd to figure out that she needed to hold it until she was on the potty. We still had a lot of accidents. Slowly but surely they get it. DD is now 23 months and she has been telling us when she needs to poo for about 4 days. But she would hold it until we put her on the potty or reminded her to go.

Try to remember that kids understand more than they can actually speak.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:28 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Thank you!
    Kaydenz_Mom

Answer by Kaydenz_Mom at 11:51 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Have you thought about teaching your toddler baby signs? It works wonders with out little guy.
    tanyab281073

Answer by tanyab281073 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 2, 2009