what is the difference in lutheran and baptist?

What is the difference in lutheran and baptist church?

sissysmess

Asked by sissysmess at 2:17 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what know (have been told) ~ Lutherans believe that you can lose your salvation if you sin, and Baptists believe that once you are saved, you are always saved, regardless of your sin.
    I'm sure there are other differences, but that is the only one I know about.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 2:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Luthrens are a branch that came out of the catholic faith. They have many traditions in their church
    Baptist believe in baptism under water and that saved always saved

Do some research on sites that have a list of the differences!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My friend is a Lutheran and they seem way too up tight and repressed (spiritually speaking). I guess it's for fear of losing their salvation if they screw up. I'm Baptist and I think it's a hoot. Basically we can do anything we want and never lose our salvation, just ask for forgiveness and we can go straight to God for that not visit the priest and ask him to hear our sins.
    shrinkydink68

Answer by shrinkydink68 at 2:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I go to a Baptist church and they don't all believe "once saved, always saved".

Lutherans do carry a lot of traditions.

http://www.beliefnet.com/

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't know specifically but its doctrinal issues. I believe the fundamental issues are about the same. You know...its all in the details.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• In the very simplest terms, the Lutheran church is as close as you can get to being Catholic and still be protestant. The Baptist church, on the other hand, is freer (not as much ritual) and more charismatic.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 4:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I'm a Southern Baptist, and we do believe that once saved, always saved. Noone can take your salvation away from you, but that doesn't necessarily mean you can go and do anything you want. We are taught to ask God's forgiveness of our sins and then to "repent." That just means to turn away from that sin and try to never commit it again. We don't confess our sins to a priest and have him pray for us. We pray directly to God Himself. We do ask for others to pray for us and with us, but ALL prayer goes directly to God through Jesus Christ.
    I don't really know about the Lutheran faith. I do find it interesting though to learn about other religions. So many are so close in beliefs and some are so very, very different. It's really interesting!!
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 5:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• like reneeK3 said, not all baptists believe 'once saved, always saved'. there are doctrinal differances among the various baptists (missionary, first, southern, free will, bible, etc...)..kinda crazy(to have so many under one denominational name), but aren't all religions, in some way? in the free will baptist church, you can die in your unrepentent sin, whether you were saved or not. meaning, a saved person can 'backslide'..and while in that state, well...except for the mercy of God, who knows really what happens to that person?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• "In the very simplest terms, the Lutheran church is as close as you can get to being Catholic"

I think Eastern Orthodox churches would be more "most" like Catholics. `
    livingangle

Answer by livingangle at 8:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Lutheranism: Basically the first protestant denomination reformed from the Catholic church. To see what they're all about, google "95 theses." They do baptismal sprinkling of infants. They believe in para-transubstantiation (the bread and the wine are BOTH the body/blood of Christ AND bread/wine). They have a more ordered and traditional worship. They do NOT believe that salvation can be lost by sinning. They believe in "grace alone" and "faith alone." They believe in "scripture alone" (no current prophecy past the Bible).

Baptist: (Baptist branches vary in themselves). Believe in Baptism by emersion as adults. They do not believe in transubstantiation OR para-transubstantiation. They are more relaxed in their worship. Baptists believe in free-will. Many also believe that inspiration and prophecy still occur today.

Their church governments also differ.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:12 AM on May. 13, 2009