What is a NICU like?

I am pregant with twin boys. I am almost 26 weeks. I have been told that I will most likely deliever early by a c-section. I have seen pictures of NICU's but I just want to hear from other parents who have experienced the NICU. Also how old ( pregnancy week wise ) does a baby have to be in order to live? I am scared of going into labor to early and my twins not surviving. This is my 2 pregnancy with twins. I lost the 1st set in a car accident when I was 16 and I dont know maybe I am just fretting over nothing.

lilmamaof209

Asked by lilmamaof209 at 2:27 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• At 26 weeks your twins have a great chance of doing well... but the longer you can keep them in the better the outcome... every DAY matters.
    It depends on how early they are (if they even are, many are born full term) what will happen.
    Lets say they are born at 30 weeks...
    They might need help breathing and be placed on a ventilator to help them breath... or they may need oxygen. But some babies do just fine breathing.
    The will get a feeding tube to help them eat. They are too young to breast or bottle feed to start with. They will probably stongly encourage you to pump breastmilk even if you don't plan to breastfeed later on. When they get stronger they will be slowly be able to breast or bottle feed, but still get most of the food with thier little tube.
    The main goal will be to eat and gain weight until they are able to eat as much as they need all on their own.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• cont...
    The babies will be in special cribs called isolettes... they use these to keep the baby warm because they are too young to regulate their own temp. At first they might not want them to be out of their "artificial womb" very much.
    They will probably teach you how to do something called Kangroo Care where you put your little baby on your bare chest to keep them nice and warm and help you bond.
    Your babies will be there anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of months... it all depends on how early they are and how well they do afterwards.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think the PP covered it pretty well. I had my son at almost 34 weeks. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU. We spent some time at Hopkins and the prognosis was good for the 28-weeker in the incubator next to my son. How early are they saying you're going to deliver? Have they given you steroid shots to help lung development? You can message me if you want to talk. I'm very open about my NICU experience.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 11:09 AM on May. 13, 2009