Does anyone else get tired of people yelling all the time?

I have a friend who I see usually about once a week and she has a 2 year old daughter. She's extremely well behaved but her mom yells at her for EVERYTHING (ex. not walking fast enough, tripping over her own feet, asking questions). this girl is still a baby and sometimes i just want to be like "hey you yelling is more annoying than whatever she's doing." Would it be wrong to say something like that? Sometimes I feel like it's not my place to criticize her parenting but for the sake of my own sanity I can't stand listening to her screaming about nothing much longer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't see how you can tell her without losing a friend. Maybe you could "notice" another mother when you are out together and point how how the mother speaks quietly to her children and how refreshing that is, then bring the conversation around to yelling all the time becoming ineffective after a while. You could mention that your mother, or a friend's mother, yelled all the time and the children learned to tune her out, so you only speak in your inside voice to your children. If you keep it light, perhaps she wouldn't realize you are speaking for her benefit, yet it might dawn on her next time she yells that hey this is the same thing you were describing. Also, be sure when you are around her to not yell, speak in a calm voice. Good luck with handling this concern.

Answer by Bmat at 2:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Even though I tend to be a yeller, I agree. . I am trying to stop because I get on my OWN nerves. I would totally say that next time though. And sort of laugh it off so she doesn't get too upset with you.
    EiEiO

Answer by EiEiO at 2:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i agree with both Bmat and EiEiO. I also yell to much and i know its annoying.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:49 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I grew up with a yell-er so I determined to not do that to my children. I rarely raised my voice to them. We were at a neighborhood playdate when the children were about 3 and 5, and were sitting on the back porch. I looked at the children playing across the yard and noticed they were climbing on something that might fall, so I called out for them to stop. The other moms looked at me in amazement and said they'd never heard me raise my voice before. LOL!

Answer by Bmat at 2:51 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I am a yeller and don't even realize I am yelling at times, so I don't mind someone pointing it out. I never yelled at my son for walking too slow, asking questions, etc. I just yell when he ignores me or does stupid things (he is almost 13, so that happens a lot). If you are good friends with her, then say something, just be gentle about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My sister and I have this particular disagreement. She's a yeller. I am very very firmly against yelling at children.

At the end of the day we had to agree to just not talk to it and not to parent eachothers children because it always ends up with her screaming at me (which I hate) and me trying to talk calmly to her (which she considers patronizing).
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 2:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• it's going to bite her in the butt someday that sweet child wil develope the same habbit.. I don't understand why someone would yell at such little things that aren't bad at all. Mom sounds way stressed.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 3:31 PM on May. 12, 2009