What if....

someone was baptisized in one religion, and then left that religion? I don't really put much weight behind baptism. Ok, yeah, it is a way for a person to show their commitment to a certain religion or belief, but sometimes things seem right when they are looked at with stars in your eyes, but once the glitter and glamour wears off, and you have a chance to look at it from another perspective, sometimes the greatness wears off. So then we chose to leave that path. So, what happens? Are we still bound by the baptism or what?
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 2:38 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hope not, I was baptized Catholic. LOL
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 2:39 PM on May. 12, 2009

• No, I think baptism is just getting wet with pretty words.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:40 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It would depend on if they continued their covenants or not even tho they left that denomination. Thats my guess tho.

I was baptized mormon but have left that church. I highly doubt, by their beliefs, Im worthy to enter the kingdom of God as I broke my covenants.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i was baptized catholic when i was a baby. i now attend a methodist church and i don't feel bound to the catholic church in any way. i guess ultimately it's your choice.
    r_elizabeth2290

Answer by r_elizabeth2290 at 2:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It all depends if the person still is a part of that religion or not. I was baptised southern Baptist and I feel no connection to the denomination. It is up to the individual.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• is that a water baptism or the baptism in the Holy Spirit. It might be difficult to get rid of the Holy Spirit after that type of Baptism. He just won't want to go!
    shrinkydink68

Answer by shrinkydink68 at 2:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• it would depend on that church. i think most churches don't hold much care about inactive members and if they don't attend anymore a lot of them right you off as not a member. now if your mormon and your baptized in this church they keep very good record of you. my father moved from my brothers home to mine and i got a call from someone in utah about my fathers membership and then got a call from one of the church leaders in the ward i attended asking if he lived with us and if this was his correct address. some people think that this to much but i think it's great that they care so much about their members that they make sure that they keep track of them. my father doesn't attend but he is still considered a member. if your excommunicated then that would be different. when i move i make sure of give them my new ward info. this church truly cares about their members. i really like that. it impresses me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• dont' know.. I dont' believe in an after life.. I was baptized and saved as a child.. but turned away from Christianity...

but if I'm wrong, I doubt I'll go to heaven because I denounced that part of my life, which is the greatest sin.
    (denying the Lord).

Personally I"m not going to loose any sleep over it because I don't plan on changing what I believe.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That is an excellent question. I was baptized Catholic as an infant... I didn't have a say in the matter. But when I was older I was baptized into another faith. Hmmm.... I hope I'm not still a Catholic too. Yikes.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 3:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I too was Baptized a Catholic as a baby, after I studied the Bible and came to a more accurate understanding I dedicated myself to do God's will with my life including becoming Baptized, so I got my Baptismal Certificate and sent it along with a letter to the address of where I was Baptized explaining that I wanted to be removed from their list of members, I feel that in this way I was taking a lead in my spiritual growth and direction.
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:45 PM on May. 12, 2009