Ever heard of breaking your tail bone during birth?

Mom2Chase429

Asked by Mom2Chase429 at 2:47 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if baby comes face down, instead of face up it can cuase some problems for you and baby.
    Anonymous

• I have heard of it...luckily, my tailbone was bent and a major source of pain until childbirth. i think he might have been facing up and "fixed" mine. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My friends when she had her baby
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I've heard of it happening before, but I've heard that it's not that common.
    Crystal2509

Answer by Crystal2509 at 3:13 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have done lots and lots of research on childbirth and have not heard of this. It must be in extremely rare cases.
    Anonymous

• Yep, my mom's dr broke hers pulling me out with forceps.

It happens almost always in cases where the mom is pushing in a physiologically inappropriate position - either lying with legs up or reclining back with legs up - any position with her weight on her tailbone. Pretty much the standard "birthing position" drs and some midwives think you have to be in to push, sadly - it doesn't make any sense with our pelvis and also increases chance of tearing.

I have never heard of it happening in any other birthing position (squatting, standing, all-fours, side-lying) even if the baby is sunny-side up or breech.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 3:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/0_bruised-or-broken-tailbone_1152322.bc
    Anonymous

• it actually happened to me, i didn't "break" my tailbone, but something is def. wrong. it pops in and out everytime i move and hurts like h***, justhad my 5 week post partum visit and my dr. is very concerned that the pain isn't getting better. I had back surgery in 06 so pushing might have messed that up. my husband heard a pop during pushing too. not much you can do about a tailbone, sitting on a donut, tyelonal and heat/ice. man i hope it gets better soon, it hurts soo bad. well long story short to answer your ? my dr. said its rare, she sees it maybe once every four years she says.
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 4:18 PM on May. 12, 2009