How to get my 1 year old to EAT

My daughter just turned 1 in march and will not eat anything. I am not saying she eats a little she eats nothing. She drinks her whole milk about 18oz a day and some apple juice sometimes. I can get her to eat a cracker every now and then but other then that nothing. I am very worried about her! I called her doctor to ask about maybe giving her a supplement and he said no that she should be hungry and that is the only way she is going to eat. My thought is, she has to be hungry now she does not eat. Any moms have any suggestions on what I should try or has anyone experienced this? I have two other children and neither of them went weeks without eating. She is not under weight and does not appear to be unhealthy or in any pain but she has to be hungry. I will welcome any suggestions and or advise. Thank you very much

aw226

Asked by aw226 at 2:48 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• what foods are you offering her? she might be bored of the texture or tastes. my son, also 1, is very picky lately. after a few mouth fulls he lets me know he's done by throwing every last piece on the floor! drives me nuts lol. but he loves macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, pancakes, bagels with cream cheese, and yogurt. I'll sneak spinach in the macaroni and cheese, add blueberry preserves to the cream cheese...little things like that so he can get more nutrition. he also loves bananas, but I cant just give him bananas everytime for his "fruit", so I chop up some kiwi or avacado along with it.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My niece does the same thing. She wouldnt even eat baby food when she was little. She is now 2 and she eats very little. My sister gave her pediasure so she would be getting some kind of nutrients. It is kind of expensive to supplement every meal wiith but she needs to get the nutrients that is offers b/c shes not getting it anywhere else
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:54 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Give her Pedisaure a couple times a day, make sure it is cold or it tastes nasty. Just keep offering her food, especially foods that she can feed to herself, even if it is messy. My son was like this too and he didn't starve, your daughter will eat when she is hungry. As long as she is steadily growing and is healthy, don't worry so much.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:02 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Giver her water instead of juice, and not too much milk. Great foods for a one year old are avocado, baked sweet potato,. cooked beans, cubes of tofu, egg, hummus, whole grain bread with sunflower butter, slices of zucchini, whole wheat pasta dipped in marinara, brown rice.
    Super Baby Food is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I had a health dept nurse tell me to give my kids milk shakes. I let them have those when they wouldn't eat and eat ice cream even for breakfast. It helped get them back into eating again. Then we started with chicken noodle soup and soft things like that and mac & cheese to work up to other foods.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:33 PM on May. 12, 2009