Would I be a horrible neighbor if I told her...

Its a long story, but she *heard* from someone that our lab bit the mailman (didn't happen first. 2nd, he called the cops b/c the husky got out the fence). She's all upset because the lab barks loudly at her and her son when they are outside. I told her to let me know whenever and I could put the dog in. Fast Forward. She tells my husband our dog tried to bit the kid. They get into an argument. She says something about what happens if he puts his arm in the fence to bite them.

That's when I came inside. Because if I stayed out there I probably would have said something horrible.

I've been through this before... she would call the cops, they'd take the dog for 72 hours to check for rabies, and then nothing would happen because the kid was in MY fence without my knowledge. And when that happens I'm prepared to tell her its her fault for not watching her kid. Would that be horrible to say because frankly its the truth

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:52 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• what happens if he puts his arm in the fence to pet the dogs and the dog bites him

oops...

I saw it but didn't have space to correct it
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 2:53 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I'd tell her she needs to watch her kid and if she can't watch her kid and allows the child to be put in situations where the child is in danger then I would call CPS. See how she likes that. She cannot honestly expect you to continue to feel threatened by her every time she says she's going to call the cops. Plus she is an idiot if she already knows that the dog barks and her and the kid it means the dog is trying to alert you that someone is out there. It wasn't an invitation for her kid to come pet the dog.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 2:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would just tell her. Explain you're not out to get her or hurt her child but the facts remain.
    Anonymous

• THis is the same thing i go through with my neighbor. I told her to teach her children not to put their hands in the fence. My dogs are in their space, her children she remain in theirs. My dogs are nice but do bark and jump around the fence when people get too close...but hey, that's what I have dogs for. TO keep people out of my damn yard!
    vicki136

Answer by vicki136 at 2:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Our neighbors have dogs and my kids all know not to go putting their hands in the fence. And our neighbors dogs have never bitten anyone (the only time they might is if someone tried to go in the house at night without their owners). So, yeah, I would tell her to keep her kid in thier yard and be done with it. Of course, in real life I wouldn't be as friendly with my words, but you get my drift. If she thinks your dog is so dangerous, shouldn't she be trying to keep her kid away for him to begin with?
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 3:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Apparently i hit the anon button.. i was going for the email one... that's what i get for talking on the phone and being on here at the same time. I feel silly.

I told her that. My husband has told her. Even a friend of ours told her that.

SHe said something one day about wanting to feel safe in her house when her husband deploys. I laughed... not at her, because I do understand that... I told her she should be more worried about someone breaking into her house than about my dogs in the fence.

My dogs are big and they are loud. I've got a cat to be a little cuddley pet. I've got dogs to keep people out of my house.

I wasn't sure if I was maybe overracting or mean. We clearly don't agree about the dogs but I don't want to make more trouble than need be.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:09 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Why does your dog have to be taken for 72 hours for rabies?? Is it not a law to have him/her vaccinated?
    Anonymous

• Its post policy.... any animal that bites is quaranteed for 72 hours. But they've got their rabies shots... and all their other shots too. Their even chipped and have heartguard and flea collars.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 3:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i have a german shepherd and i watch her.if i see kids in the yard i tell them to get out.nicely.but they keep coming.he is on a 20ft lead in the yard i know he doesnt like kids.i would keep an eye open and if you see anything say something.cause it will be your fault and also i know in my town it is the law to have rabies shots.lately my husband has been finding rocks in the yard so we think the little boy next store is throwing rocks into our yard.i will catch him though,but the thing is i dont want to loose my dog.
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 3:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think im confused. So she wants to know what happens if HER child puts his arm into the fence with your dogs? Um, well he might get bit and then its THEIR problem. You have every right to have your dogs in your fence in your yard. As long as they are not tearing up other peoples property, its none of her business, even if they are barking. We have a strict leash law in our county. I found this white pit bull running around the neighborhood a few weeks ago. Admittedly, I am not a dog person and I especially do not like pit bulls. I know they have a bad rap but I got chased and almost bit by a pit bull as a child so I am skiddish...LOL...So anyway, I opened the door and this dog that had been running around came charging at me. I got scared, so I closed the door. When she got to the door, she started whining and wimpering. I felt sorry for her so I slowly opened it and she let me pet her. The owner was fined for her gettingout
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:46 PM on May. 12, 2009