How can I get my 3 month old to nap longer?

Any suggestions on how to get my 3 month old to nap longer? She is sleeping through the night from about 7:30pm-7am, but is having trouble napping during the day. Sometimes she will only sleep for an hour in the am and an hour in the afternoon. I can see that she is so tired, so I let her fuss for a couple of minutes, but she just gets more worked up. When I go in she is all smiles...little stinker.

snb216

Asked by snb216 at 3:03 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As she gets older she will sleep longer and will only take 1 nap a day. But i would let her fuss a bit longer, like 5 or so minutes (more if you feel comfortable enough) maybe she will just go back to sleep.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 3:07 PM on May. 12, 2009

• you cant really make them go to sleep or anything, theyre newborns, if theyre going to sleep theyre going to sleep.... you could try going in there rocking her with the lights off and some soft music on.. it may take a while but thats normal.. you may not want to have her slep more during the day if shes already sleeping through the night, otherwise it may throw off that balance and she may start waking up more in the night time.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:10 PM on May. 12, 2009

• An hour is a good long nap. You can't make her sleep longer at a stretch. You can try to put her down more, though.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• First you let em cry 5 minutes comein come them down then wait 10 min ......
    sandyhutchens

Answer by sandyhutchens at 3:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think if she is sleeping that well at night it is great! As far as the naps I would look at when she is napping. Try to put her down about 2 hours after waking. Then I would put her down and let her fuss for a few minutes. Maybe go in and rub her back and leave again and see if she goes back to sleep. Otherwise make the next nap time about 2 hours after she gets up from the first nap. At that age she might even be able to take another late nap like 3 ish. Maybe then she could get another 30min. to an hour in as long as the late nap doesn't interfer with that great nighttime routine you have going. Sorry if it's not much help, I think sleeping is one of those things that you are constantly tweaking over time. If you are really concerned, I highly recommend the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" it is a wonderful resource!
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 3:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Wow! All night at this age? Wow!

Remember that daytime sleep is a product of brain maturity. When she sleeps and for how long will be changing over the coming year. The long naps of toddlerhood - 2 to 3 hours - are just that... the long naps of TODDLERHOOD. It is the rare baby that takes naps that long before age 2.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:51 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Since she is sleeping that good at night and for that long, maybe two one hour naps a day is fine. I always made sure the room was dark and played soft lullaby music.
    Anonymous