Should I be expected to stay with my SSs throughout the summer so that my DH and BM can save $$ on day care (which is also where the BM works)?

I am a teacher. Technically I'm not at school June-July, only to do small prep for next year. This time I will be doing a whole lot more because I've accepted a different position.

I thought I asked this question before, but I can't find where it went. . .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• NO, you need that time to do lesson plans and to prepare for the next school year. You are the step mom not the babysitter. That's just crazy if bm works at a day care! Tell her to take him with her. She had him, she can take care of him
    shrinkydink68

Answer by shrinkydink68 at 3:11 PM on May. 12, 2009

• p.s. if she works there the care should be free anyway. My dd worked in one and her two boys got free care bc she worked there.
    shrinkydink68

• I would do it if you are going to be home. If there are times you can't, there are times you can't, but it makes you sound like your SS is an imposition, and that is not the way I would ever want a step parent to feel about my child. "that's not my child, you're not just gonna dump your son on me so you can save money on daycare...why cant she watch her own kids?" No. I think that is lousy.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 3:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Do you and him have children together and will they be home? If so yes you should allow the child to stay with you. I never understood stepmoms who act like stepkids are an inconvenience. You married a man with a child you should help in parenting that child. If you DH is saving money on daycare wouldn't that mean you are saving as well?
    Anonymous

• Depends. Do you want to? If not, don't do it. If you don't mind, then it would be a nice thing to do.

What about splitting the difference and finding half-day camps for them and doing the drop off and pick up?
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Her and the dad had the kid, they should work this out. My step dad was never expected to babysit me and my sisters.
    LilChynaDollie

Answer by LilChynaDollie at 3:49 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think since you are home in the summer you should be able to have some time to yourself. Maybe you could watch the child 2 days/wk so you can have some bonding time but you would still have some free time.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It will be saving your household money too right? If you can't do it every single day just say so... but I don't think having your SS around should be that much of a problem for you you look at him like a son don't you?
    mizsaxton

Answer by mizsaxton at 4:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think you should concider it. He had these kids when you married him. They are a very significat part of his life, and should be to you as well. I wouldn't look at it as "babysitting', I would look at is as an opportunity to bond with your step kids.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 4:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I think it seems a little bit silly NOT to. No you shouldnt be expected to keep him the whole summer, but he is your SS, hopefully you look at him and treat him like your own... I think if I were you I would watch him but enroll him in some day camps or something; that way he gets quality time with you and you both get a break.
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 4:31 PM on May. 12, 2009