21 month old making herself vomit

My 21 month old daughter from about the time she was 18 months to now, makes herself throw up while we are in the car. We are trying to break her of her binky and she does great in the house, but sometimes when we are in the car, she'll shove her fingers down her throat and vomit all over herself. I've tried to keep her occupied with other things, such as toys, books, her sippy cup and snacks but sometimes it just doesn't seem to work. I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to get her to stop doing this! I really don't want her to have her binky just in the car and not in the house... does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get her to stop???

haileysmom805

Asked by haileysmom805 at 3:30 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like she is doing it to get attention or to get what she wants. My little cousin used to do the same thing when my Aunt would tell him he couldn't have something. I would just keep sticking to your guns and not giving in to letting her have her binky. Than she will know when she does make herself vomit it will work. Eventually she will stop. Its gonna be hard but just stay strong and try and deal with it. Put bibs on her or a towel over her clothes in the car so she won't get it on herself. Sorry I know that's probably not the advice you wanted to hear but I got nothing else.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 3:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• my daughter does this. i haven't figured out why, it's just random for her. i've seen lots of posts on this so i think it's kinda normal for them to do it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• have you had a doctor look at her throat. My daughter was doing this exact same thing for awhile, come to find out she had a sore throat and infection on her tonsils, they hurt and she was trying to scratch them. In fact she just did it the other day in the car, yea chewed twice apples.... and it was because the roof of her mouth was raw. and her tonsils were swollen. They gett itchy throats when they have allergies too.. my daughter is now 23 months old. Good luck. i wouldn't say its for attention, Just that she is trying to sooth either the pacification need or her throat.
    Mommyxtwo777

Answer by Mommyxtwo777 at 5:05 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My 14 month old does the same thing. She does it in the van and in her high chair. It drives me crazy.
    momofthree28

Answer by momofthree28 at 5:24 PM on May. 12, 2009

• She might be doing it for attention.. or she might actually be getting car sick. If you rule out the car sickness and other things I would let her sit in her puke clothes for awhile until she realizes its gross and she doesnt want to.. know it sounds bad but.. she wont want to throw up after keeping those on!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 8:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• she is 23 months she isnt going to care if its yucking prob, and i wouldnt want my kid in vomit, check with your doctor and if they cant find a infection or know why just like one of the post said stick to your guns mama your doing the best you know how! goodlluck
    mysticskies

Answer by mysticskies at 1:49 AM on May. 13, 2009

• My dd did this for a few months. She is now 23 months and does it occasionally. I think she is just experimenting with her body. Just figuring things out. When we see her do that, we take her fingers out of her mouth and tell her it is an owie (how do you that word). Slowly but surely, they grow out of this one too.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:23 AM on May. 13, 2009