Coming off Mirena

We're discussing taking out my Mirena at my upcoming appointment in June, so plenty of time to talk things over. For anyone who's taken it out, about how long did it take to conceive afterward? It took 5 months with my first pregnancy after going off the pill, should i expect the same amount of time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I haven't taken mine out yet, but my sister in law got prego a month after getting it out.
    Anonymous

• For me it took a while to even get my period back and then I had lots of problems after removal. I would give yourself a few months to let everything get back to normal before trying to conceive. You want time for the hormones to leave your system and for your uterine lining to recover from the effects of the IUD for the healthiest pregnancy possible.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 3:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would think, since the Mirena isn't a hormonal BC so it's not going to take as long as some of the other birth control options. Depending on where you are on your cycle you should be able to get pregnant right away.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i got mine out on march 24th and on may 2nd i was pregnant
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 5:01 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Mine was taken out after two years. I was pregnant within two weeks. I did miscarry, but, since it isn't a hormone, once its out, its as if you never used anything. They don't know exactly how Mirena works-you may stop ovulating, it may block the sperm, or, just prevents the egg from being able to be fertilized. Either way, your body happily forgets it was ever there immediately. Make sure and use a condom if you don't want a baby immediately. Good Luck
    Juliekat23

Answer by Juliekat23 at 10:34 AM on May. 13, 2009