Have you ever had your membranes swept or stripped?

If yes, did it work to help dilate your cervix or bring on labor? If no, had you ever been offered this type of intervention during late pregnancy?
Did you know what membrane 'sweeping' was at the time it was offered?

Those of you who had your membranes swept or stripped; how long afterwards did your labor commence? Thanks for the time to answer this.

*this question is purely for anecdotal referencing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:45 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had mine stripped once with my 3rd. It did not send me into labor though, I was induced several days later.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• No I have never had them stripped nor swept. I am due with my 6th child in 4 weeks.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 3:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I had mine swept, IT hurt sooo bad and I bleed for days, but it didn't even work! I was enduced two weeks later.
    Anonymous

• I did with my first around 4 pm, I was 4 days overdue and contractions started around 10 pm every 5 min had my son the next night at 7:30pm. I didn't think it hurt just a little uncomfortable.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:27 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, I had mine stripped. Went into labor within 12 hours. It hurt A LOT. I wouldn't do it again.
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 4:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I had this done with my first but it didnt work so I was Induced a week later. I do not remember it hurting.
    MomTo2Girls0302

Answer by MomTo2Girls0302 at 4:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Sweeping/stripping membranes doesn't cause dilation. It can irritate your uterus so that it begins contracting though. I've had them stripped in 2 pregnancies. In one, nothing happened. I was induced a week later. In the other, early labor began before leaving the doctor's office.

I did know what stripping was but did not really understand the risks (like of rupturing the membrane). I won't ever have it done again. If your body is ready and your baby are ready, labor will start without any "help" for the majority of people. Why take unnecessary risks?

Sorry, I just realized you didn't ask for any opinions LOL. I put it out there anyway. That's who I am...always giving my opinion when it isn't asked for.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 5:08 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I had mine stripped I would rather have a c-section then do it again, it hurt very badly!
    ERV2009

Answer by ERV2009 at 5:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I had mine done. It didn't hurt but was uncomfortable. Contractions started soon after but I didn't have him until 6 days later.
    KJDsMommy

Answer by KJDsMommy at 9:29 PM on May. 12, 2009